iPhoto and Aperture

Reaction score
If this has been addressed before my apologies.

I am new to the Mac world getting my Mac late last year. I have a ton of photos that are in iPhoto and have enjoyed using it. I decided I was interested in more controls and upgraded to Aperture (Xmas present to myself).

Question: I have imported all photos from iPhoto to Aperture. As there are a lot my concern is are they duplicated in Aperture, that is do I have photos in both locations or are both software programs accessing the same photo? My concern is hogging all that space with two copies of each photo on my hard drive. Should I be concerned? What should I do with iPhoto? I am not comfortable with deleting it- should I? Should I only import those photos into Aperture that I want to specially work with and leave the others in iPhoto?

Many thanks for any help.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
If this has been addressed before my apologies.

I am new to the Mac world getting my Mac late last year. I have a ton of photos that are in iPhoto and have enjoyed using it. I decided I was interested in more controls and upgraded to Aperture (Xmas present to myself).

Question: I have imported all photos from iPhoto to Aperture. As there are a lot my concern is are they duplicated in Aperture, that is do I have photos in both locations or are both software programs accessing the same photo? My concern is hogging all that space with two copies of each photo on my hard drive. Should I be concerned? What should I do with iPhoto? I am not comfortable with deleting it- should I? Should I only import those photos into Aperture that I want to specially work with and leave the others in iPhoto?

Many thanks for any help.

1) If you did a routine import from iPhoto to Aperture you now have two seperate and independent libraries
2) Yes, they are now taking up more room
3) I see no reason to delete iPhoto. If you prefer Aperture (as I do) you can delete the iPhoto library and just use Aperture (be sure to back up to an external drive first).
4) There are some things iPhoto does more easily in my opinion, Christmas Cards for one

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.