iPod Touch — battery draining overnight

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid'09 MBP; 2.53GHz; 8GB RAM; OS X 10.8.2 | 2G iPod Touch 32GB | iPhone 5 iOS 7.1 16GB | iPad Air
I've had a 2nd gen iPod Touch since June '09 (had one before but it was replaced due to display problems) and at night I turn Wi-Fi off, reduce the display brightness to minimum and put on a record before I fall asleep. Under these conditions, battery had been lasting quite a while.

Two days ago I woke up and the battery had drained. Didn't think too much of it cause it's the holidays and I wasn't paying attention to my charge. But this morning, same thing.

Does the battery die overnight like that? Is there a way I can find out how many cycles it has? I'm doing a restore right now, while thinking I really can't afford a new one right after Christmas, specially in Brazil with all the taxes. :|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Get a battery monitoring app, and take a good look at the stats it shows. You should always do a complete discharge and recharge at least once a month.
Other than that, check you have no apps running in the background when you shut down for the night.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
Do you leave your iPod connected to your computer when the computer is off or asleep? Otherwise, looks like something in your iPod Touch is still draining the battery.

OP
MissMurder
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid'09 MBP; 2.53GHz; 8GB RAM; OS X 10.8.2 | 2G iPod Touch 32GB | iPhone 5 iOS 7.1 16GB | iPad Air
Do you leave your iPod connected to your computer when the computer is off or asleep? Otherwise, looks like something in your iPod Touch is still draining the battery.
no, never. always eject it and when I leave the iPod on at night, I turn Wi-Fi off.
it seems to be working normally this past few days, but I have been turning it off at night, which serves no purpose to me. :\

thanks anyway :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
If you are completely disconnecting your iPod from your computer, and your battery is retaining a charge when you turn it off for an extended period of time, then it looks like an application or a setting on your device is causing the drainage. I've been told that Wifi does create a normal (whatever that happens to be), amount of drainage when your device is asleep. But that the biggest culprit of drainage on the device when it is on or asleep are Bluetooth and Notifications for the various applications. The screen itself uses a fair amount of power, but it should be a non factor when your device is asleep. Maybe it would be a good idea to take a look and see if Bluetooth is on, or if an application that you have recently uploaded or updated has enabled notifications again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.