performance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Just a general question here... what makes the machine - bus speed or cache? For example, say a computer has a high bus speed (frontside or what) and a low cache memory or would performance be enhanced by a low bus speed and a high cache memory. Any thoughts will be appreciated. i'm going with a high bus speed but I need some extra advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
deus_ex_machina said:
Just a general question here... what makes the machine - bus speed or cache? For example, say a computer has a high bus speed (frontside or what) and a low cache memory or would performance be enhanced by a low bus speed and a high cache memory. Any thoughts will be appreciated. i'm going with a high bus speed but I need some extra advice.
My two cents...
You have to take both of those, and other factors into consideration when trying to determine what "makes a machine". It really can't be whittled down to only one facet of the computer.

Of the two you mentioned, bus speed and cache, I would say that bus speed would contribute more to the final decision. However, bus speed alone is not a deciding factor.

OP
deus_ex_machina
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Reason for this question - my friend is building a PC (groan ;) ) from scratch and he is deciding between two processors but the difference is bus speed and the size of the cache memory, I think both AMD. I posted here because I know I get reliable answers here. What other factors are there to consider in processors besides the two aforementioned? Thanks for the thoughts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
deus_ex_machina said:
Reason for this question - my friend is building a PC (groan ;) ) from scratch and he is deciding between two processors but the difference is bus speed and the size of the cache memory, I think both AMD. I posted here because I know I get reliable answers here. What other factors are there to consider in processors besides the two aforementioned? Thanks for the thoughts
Well, I wasn't specifically talking about factors with the processors. What I was talking about is the other parts of the computer, like HD and RAM. Slow or cheap RAM and/or a slow or cheap HD could bottleneck and seemingly slow down a fast processor.

OP
deus_ex_machina
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry I wasn't specific about the processors - I understand that there are several things that make the machine. Maybe the initial question was too vague :) I helped him pick the other components, I'm just not up to date with x86 processors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
if you are asking about AMD cpu's, find out what core he is looking at

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.