• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Iphone on Verizon Wireless

Reaction score
Hi all. I am relatively new here and I was just wondering who actually believes all this iphone on verizon hype?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i5 500GB 4GB, iPhone 3GS, 160GB Classic, 40GB ATV, 16GB iPad WiFi
I'll believe it when I have an iPhone ringing from my verizon wireless number. Until then, it's hogwash.

- Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
It'll happen eventually. When? I have no clue. I have a feeling it won't be this year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
I hope it's true.

I would love to see the iPhone come to all of the carriers in the US. If that happened, it would likely be the death to most smart phones (except, maybe, Android).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
The closer it gets to the end of my Verizon one year contract, the closer I come to wanting to believe. I'm sure that if it were to actually come to pass, we wouldn't hear anything official until Mr. Steve takes the stage at the MacWorld this Spring. It's a major enough announcement though that perhaps it would warrant it's own mysterious and spontaneous Apple press conference...

Reaction score
I think it will and hopefully it will be this year. I can't see Apple staying with ATT much longer. There is more money to be made out there and it can be done with multiple carriers.

OP
xero
Reaction score
Well, I don't think we will know for sure until January. I picked a Verizon technical support Representative for information by simply playing dumb on the phone with her by purposely confusing an ipad with an iphone and she said "We are currently testing the new iphone on our network (which network 3g or LTE???) and we will not know anything until January when the experts have finished testing. The ipad is already available in our stores."

So think its official. Apple will make it happen!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 Gigs of ram
I have a feeling it won't be this year.

Well no crap. Just giving you a hard time. I think if it doesnt happen by the end of next year, then it wont happen for a long time. ATT just bough a bunch of towers from Qualcomm ($2.1 billion) so I think Apple is going to wait and see how well that helps ATT's coverage before they decide to talk to Verizon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It'll happen eventually. When? I have no clue. I have a feeling it won't be this year.

Why would it happen eventually? Why would it happen at all? It's really up to Apple and if they don't want it to happen, it's not gonna happen.

Reaction score
Why would it happen eventually? Why would it happen at all? It's really up to Apple and if they don't want it to happen, it's not gonna happen.

Business wise it makes total sense. Once the ATT contract is up why wouldn't you want to get your phone on to other carriers and reach those customers that don't want to move to ATT?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Business wise it makes total sense. Once the ATT contract is up why wouldn't you want to get your phone on to other carriers and reach those customers that don't want to move to ATT?

You don't know a lot about Apple, do you?

Reaction score
You don't know a lot about Apple, do you?

I know enough to know that they want to survive and maintain whatever headway they have made in the industry. Lots of people said that the phone leaked was not the iPhone4 but it was....

I think we ill see it happen soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
I agree that it is bound to happen eventually.

Likewise, I agree that if apple wants to stay on top of this game, they need to bring it to more carriers.

The primary reason that android has become such a powerhouse, no matter what other advantages or disadvantages it may have compared to apple, is because the iphone isn't available on other carriers. I mean, it's a very viable alternative, superior in some ways, even, and for those who don't want to make the switch, the decision is obvious. Now, with the standing that android has, people on ATT see these sexy devices, as well, and may switch to those. Possibly even switch carriers, considering the network issues they've had.

I truly believe that if the iphone were brought to all carriers, it would mean a swift death for android. The hottest gadget on the planet, available universally, and putting an end to the network clogging, by spreading out iPhone users across the different carriers, as opposed to the one.

Plus, you have to remember, even though Steve Jobs is "the man" at apple, they are still a publicly traded company, with a board of directors and many investors to answer to. While he has a lot of pull, in the end, the bottom line is what matters, and his job is to make sure they create quality products while increasing the value of shares by increasing profits.

Now that we've established it makes sense to do, the question is when, and how. Will it only be Verizon they move to? Will there be an announcement for the much-rumored January?

Those questions are still unanswered, but many, many bits of evidence have surfaced (though admittedly nothing concrete). The rumors, over the last 6 months have heated up increasingly, especially with apple teaming with verizon to sell the ipad, and the verizon CEO giving little winks and nudges.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the iphone will be available on verizon (and possibly others) in 2011...sometime. I'll stop short of saying January, because that's right down the road and there is no indication, either way that an announcement is coming.

I would not be surprised, however, to hear of an announcement sometime in 2011...and January isn't necessarily out of the question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
I think it will and hopefully it will be this year. I can't see Apple staying with ATT much longer. There is more money to be made out there and it can be done with multiple carriers.

Agreed. There are many anti-AT&T people that are ready to get an iPhone, but refuse to tolerate AT&T's services. I personally haven't had much to complain about with them, but I would definitely consider switching to Verizon if it does happen.

~~I have a question on this subject. If the iPhone becomes available on Verizon would it be possible for me to bring my current iPhone from AT&T?? Or would I need to sell it and re-buy an iPhone?

Reaction score
I didn't until I moved down here... ATT in Maryland really isn't all that great and once the Mrs. finds a new job and we lose the FAN we will probably be moving to Verizon. It would be nice to have iPhone there but I can get used to Android as well.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
~~I have a question on this subject. If the iPhone becomes available on Verizon would it be possible for me to bring my current iPhone from AT&T?? Or would I need to sell it and re-buy an iPhone?

Depends on what Apple engineers do. Right now an iPhone purchased for use with AT&T is not compatible with the CDMA system used by Verizon, Sprint, and several other carriers. Your iPhone could be used, however, on T-Mobile or Virgin.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know enough to know that they want to survive and maintain whatever headway they have made in the industry. Lots of people said that the phone leaked was not the iPhone4 but it was....

I think we ill see it happen soon.

Funny, people have been saying that about the Mac for years. Apple needs to "Open it up" or it will die. Yet they haven't and they are still making a killing. Applying standard so called "business sense" to Apple is a dubious proposition at best. While they are a business they have always been something just a bit more and following what many might consider the norm when it comes to business hasn't always been the rout the chose.

So again, you don't know a lot about Apple, do you?

Agreed. There are many anti-AT&T people that are ready to get an iPhone, but refuse to tolerate AT&T's services. I personally haven't had much to complain about with them, but I would definitely consider switching to Verizon if it does happen.

There are just as many, if not more, Anti-Verizon people out there. I wouldn't consider switching back to Verizon, ever. While their service is just as good as AT&T in my area, their customer support, in-store service and overall attitude are downright horrible. They remind me a LOT of MS. As for the phone, the two companies use incompatible hardware on their networks so you'd have buy a new one.

Depends on what Apple engineers do. Right now an iPhone purchased for use with AT&T is not compatible with the CDMA system used by Verizon, Sprint, and several other carriers. Your iPhone could be used, however, on T-Mobile or Virgin.

But without 3G service. T-Mo and Virgin use a different 3G frequency band than AT&T and while you can get the iPhone to work on their cell networks, it's not as easy on their data networks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Baggss, I think that what you said makes some but not total sense in that we're talking about two different animals. The hardware that Apple is responsible for creating and distributing is 99.99% on their clock. The iPhone however, has another party to deal with, that being the phone carrier in this case.

The difference then, is control of distribution right? And IMHO, it might be you who doesn't know Apple so well if you think that they don't want their brand, their product, to reach as many hands as possible, given that the time is right.

The Mac line basically sells its self without the need of a third party to do any leg work. The problem they face with ATT is the contractual obligation and not much else. We all know it was the stubbornness of both Verizon and Apple which ultimately put Apple in ATT's hands. Business is business, and in business, there's no such thing as a "good" burned bridge. I'm fairly sure that shareholder's would agree.

JMHO

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.