Hoping someone can help, I think I've lost everything...grey screen

Reaction score
So I had my imac in sleep mode, got up and it was froze. had to turn it off and it came up with a grey screen and a blinking file folder with a question mark in it.

Hoping someone can help. I have an Imac OS X

I put in the install screen and it doesn't come up with anywhere to install it.

Is my whole hard drive wiped out? If so, what do i do, what are the costs, and is it better to just buy new? Also is my items recoverable? UGGG all my music and pictures...GONE

please help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
I put in the install screen and it doesn't come up with anywhere to install it.

Super confused....
Have you tried to restart again, first of all?

If that doesnt work, put in your install disks, then when it asks you where to install, go to the top and hit Utilities -> Disk Utility. Verify and Repair the drive if possible.

If that doesn't work, it doesn't mean everything is gone, don't worry. Go to Best Buy or online, and get a 3.5" external enclosure and plug your hard drive into it. Then plug that into another Mac (or your new hard drive if you choose to get one).

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank for replying!

Yes I can only shut down by turning it off and have done that many times. Trying the verify and repair now......

Ok I'm completely a novice..can you explain what a external enclosure is?

How much does a new hard drive run about?

Super confused....
Have you tried to restart again, first of all?

If that doesnt work, put in your install disks, then when it asks you where to install, go to the top and hit Utilities -> Disk Utility. Verify and Repair the drive if possible.

If that doesn't work, it doesn't mean everything is gone, don't worry. Go to Best Buy or online, and get a 3.5" external enclosure and plug your hard drive into it. Then plug that into another Mac (or your new hard drive if you choose to get one).

OP
B
Reaction score
under verify the only thing that comes up is my dvd drive and the install disc thats in it...no hard drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank for replying!

Yes I can only shut down by turning it off and have done that many times. Trying the verify and repair now......

Ok I'm completely a novice..can you explain what a external enclosure is?

How much does a new hard drive run about?

An external enclosure is basically making a home-made external hard drive.

A new hard drive is going to be relatively cheap. Anywhere from $50-$100.

Sounds like your hard drive might be dead tho, if it's not in Disk Utility. If you want, an external enclosure is around $15 from Best Buy iirc, and you can try that method first.

OP
B
Reaction score
I do have an external hard drive. its a click free automatic backup 250GB hard Drive, but I plug it in and I don't see anything happening??

OP
B
Reaction score
ok when I plug in my external hard drive it shows under VERIFY, but now what do i do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, I'm saying you need to verify and repair your internal hard drive.

My reference to an external hard drive is making your own with your current hard drive by taking it our of the computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.