Help with upgrading to SSD and time machine backup

Reaction score
I upgraded to a 60gb SSD and also have a 1tb sata for the data. My problem is getting migration assistant to recognize the sata drive so I can transfer my user files from my time machine backup. I successfuly got the system and applications to my ssd in migration assistant. I also switched my home folder over to the sata with a guide I found on google. How do I get my user files to the sata if migration assistant can't recognize the drive.
(drive is listed as internal in about this mac)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome top the forums.

Do not know if it will work from Time Machine alas.

When installed SSD Migration Assistant worked well from SuperDuper backed upm external drive. With Time Machine believe you should have partitioned the SSD even if only on e partition, formated, booted from the Snow Leopard Disc and without install load from Time Machine.

This, like SD, will make your SSD as slow as a conventional hard drive. OWC advised best way was to back up using SD, do a clean install of SL and then Migration Assistany of Applications, Network Settings, Home folder etc.

Reaction score
@cugolfer33 I reccomend you use carbon copy cloner, worked great for me

@harryb2448 can I delete everything on my old sd (but the home folder of course) if the the home folder is all I"m interested in? I want to free up some space on that drive but i really don't want to screw up any of my user data

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do not think so. Do not use a cloning utility as it will slow down the SSD. A clean install from the install DVD is the go and technicians at OWC where I purchased my drive are insistent that cloning will slow down the SSD to a normal HD speed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.