IPad casing fault

Reaction score
I bought an iPad in July. I am very careful with protecting it from possible damage & so keep in iPad cover inside a leather pouch. To my horror, a few months ago I noticed that the top right side was buckled. Switches still work.
Apple will not replace case only!
Would it be possible to claim as a design fault & request replacement?
Alternatively, does anyone know if it is possible to replace a casing only?
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Welcome to Mac-Forums
Have you got AppleCare?

- Simon

OP
J
Reaction score
Yes I do have Apple Care.
And No, I did not say it was "dented". I said it was "buckled". Perhaps a better description is 'warped' or 'bent' around Volume control on RHS as it no longer sits flat on a flat surface. The controls do work nonetheless. I also said that it is kept in 2 protective coverings/cases. It has never been dropped!
Is there an Australian location for replacing/repairing damaged back panels/casings?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Every iPad has Applecare (with the exception of free phone support) until at least April whether the extended warranty was purchased or not.

If the case is bent inward - probably not much Apple is going to do.
If the case is bent outward - could be a defective battery.
Although, in the location you're talking about, that is the only area where there is basically nothing inside the case.

Can only "assume" from your comment you've already visited Apple?
If not, take it in to them to have a look. Worst they can do is say no.
And with Apple, you just never know.
If they say they'll cover it, they will replace the iPad, not just the casing.

Don't even suggest to them it is some fault of the protective case. Sorry, but that is laughable. If you don't know what caused it, just tell them you don't know. They really don't care if you've kept it in 10 protective cases. Don't tell them it's never been dropped either - so you were running through the house and bumped into the kitchen counter on your way out the door and didn't notice it until some time later??? You let someone else use it while you went to the bathroom and they dropped it, saw no damage and said nothing??? Who knows? Everyone says they didn't drop it. The dent, warp, or whatever it is will tell it's own story.

Can't really help on finding a 3rd party repair center down under aside from suggesting google, the same as I'd have to do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.