some advice for breaking back into the jail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz i7 (2013) | 15"MacBook Pro 2.6GHz (2018) both OS 10.14.1 | iPhone 6 OS 12.1
so the iphone 4 i just got (love it) was already jail broken & had some games like angry birds on it (not legit of course)

now since i was in testing mode i tried out everything i could on it...but i would at some point ..like to restore everything to normal & update the os.

now i have a few questions related to this..

1..do i need to manually delete anything...or with "restore" wipe everything automatically?

2..if i backup..will it backup all changes i made? (like the wallpapers & settings for the phone etc.)?

3..will it also backup the jail broken apps? because that would sort of defeat the purpose in a way

4..what will happen to my scores & game centre data? if i now buy angry birds or something from the app store..will all my game data be gone?

hope someone who had used the backup/restore or gone back to jail can help me with this. thanks :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
OK for starters when it comes to jailbroken iphones no matter which one you have, when you restore/ backup you can pretty much forget anything being saved except for the completely legit stuff so...

1: No you do not have to manually delete anything, the restore will wipe it clean and re-insert the OS

2: It will save contact, messages etc etc, any changes you made with the proper OS and anything that apple has on there legitimately will be saved including wallpapers and settings.

3: It will NOT backup anything installed via the jailbreak methods only apps and app data saved by apps purchased/ downloaded via the app store.

4: Game center data will be saved

hope this clears everything up

- Simon

Reaction score
Just manually delete the stuff you don't want.
The current untethered jailbreak is a beta riddled with issues, so if you want it jailbroken, keep it like it is.

If you want to return it to stock, do the restore

OP
rohan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz i7 (2013) | 15"MacBook Pro 2.6GHz (2018) both OS 10.14.1 | iPhone 6 OS 12.1
yea...i really dont have any productive use for any of the stuff that is jailbreak installed...just some games & there are some apps i really dont use like sbsettings

i'd rather have the official os update...

unless there is something really useful for which i need to have my phone jailbroken

are there any apps that you think really enhance functionality? i mean in general...

what do you guys usually jailbreak/stay jailbroken for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
To be honest I used to jailbreak my iphone more for the fun of it when I got bored. In my experience (and I have jailbroken most os updates) it is quite over-rated, and not much point in it unless you want to get pirated apps and games that have been cracked of course but I can't see much point in that either.

- Simon

OP
rohan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea...one thing that i would jailbreak for is to get rid of those darm admob & adsense ads...google is such a pain in some ways...grrr

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
There are a lot of useful jailbroken apps. I think MyWi is one of the best apps ever. I stay jailbroken mostly for using themes on my phone. I am not too big on cracked apps, so I usually stay away from Installous. Also Sbsettings is very helpful. I updated my iPhone to 4.0 and I missed Sbsettings so much I re-jailbroke it.

OP
rohan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmm...yea...sbs is there on my phone but i almost never use it...
MyWi is for sharing internet from phone to laptop right?? in my case i do it the other way around...my phone uses the internet via my laptop...this is supported by default...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
SBSettings I use all the time - but I travel a lot so I have to turn radios on and off frequently.
Five Icon dock - why this isn't the default I have no idea.
Veency - actually control your iphone from your computer through VNC. This includes being able to send texts with your keyboard and mouse. (Peoople have been asking for a way to do this via bluetooth)
ssh - able to connect to the phone through ssh - and through sftp/scp - so you can move data onto and off your iphone.
Intelliscreen - costs money but a summary screen when your iphone is locked - this should be standard. I think Cydget is a free/semi-free version.

Note Veency and ssh as well as mobile terminal have security implications so know what you are doing before installing these. (Change passwords and make them strong)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.