Does jailbreak slow down iPhone on 4.2.1?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro on OS X Mavericks
I am seriously considering jailbreaking my iPhone again and I am running 4.2.1. I plan to use RedSn0w. Has anyone jailbroken their phone with this app (or any other app, for that matter) and noticed that their phone is not as fast anymore?

I haven't jailbroken since 2G and I just remember how seriously disappointed I was with my phone's speed after jailbreaking. Does the iPhone 4 have this same issue or is everything still pretty fast?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
What you have to realize about jailbroken "apps" is that most of the apps that make jailbreaking worthwhile are not completely developed to run efficiently. You will notice some slowing down, and a faster draining battery. But for example, MiWi, the best reason to jailbreak imo, can deplete the battery rather fast depending on how you have it running, but I would give up half of the iphone's battery life just to have that app.

However, my iphone4 doesn't lag anywhere near as bad as my old 3G when jben with the same apps.

The only problem that is holding me back from jailbreaking back into 4.2.1 is that there is no "untethered" jailbreak yet. Having to connect your iphone to the computer every time you want to reset/reboot/re-launch springboard is a PAIN! A new untethered jb is due out...this past weekend...lol...it's running late!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The act of jailbreaking, inherently, shouldn't slowdown the iPhone, however the applications you can install might entirely do that since no one is policing them to not adversely affect the iPhone like the Apple-sanctioned Apps are..

Regards

Reaction score
What you have to realize about jailbroken "apps" is that most of the apps that make jailbreaking worthwhile are not completely developed to run efficiently.

?? Not sure I understand this comment. Most of the devs that I have spoken to in regards to these apps have generally had their apps denied by Apple because they violate the terms not because of their coding.

Many apps like Lockinfo run really well but because Apple doesn't want people messing with the lock screen they reject it. Does this mean the code is not efficient? No, it just means that Apple didn't like it.

That being said, there are some apps like MyWi that will drain your battery fast because of what it does but is still developed efficiently.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
?? Not sure I understand this comment. Most of the devs that I have spoken to in regards to these apps have generally had their apps denied by Apple because they violate the terms not because of their coding.

Many apps like Lockinfo run really well but because Apple doesn't want people messing with the lock screen they reject it. Does this mean the code is not efficient? No, it just means that Apple didn't like it.

That being said, there are some apps like MyWi that will drain your battery fast because of what it does but is still developed efficiently.

What's hard to understand? Most of those apps run the battery down fast enough for people to associate that problem with jailbreaking. Lockinfo runs well, but it also runs the battery down, which could also be said about most apps that run constantly in the background.

Reaction score
What's hard to understand? Most of those apps run the battery down fast enough for people to associate that problem with jailbreaking. Lockinfo runs well, but it also runs the battery down, which could also be said about most apps that run constantly in the background.

Uh no it doesn't... I run it and my battery lasts throughout the day without problems and it is a 3G. It does put additional strain on the battery but it doesn't run it down fast and this certainly has nothing to do with the slowness that people had with jailbreaking. Early JB slowed the phone down because of crappy kernel building but for the most part that has been resolved. This has nothing to do with app coding.

That being said, there are apps that do stuff like drain the battery and make the phone run hot (MyWi and My3G for instance) but that is to be expected considering you are bypassing certain restrictions that Apple put in place for this exact reason. Even Face Time on WiFi will drain a battery pretty fast. I guess Apple coding isn't efficient?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Uh no it doesn't... I run it and my battery lasts throughout the day without problems and it is a 3G. It does put additional strain on the battery but it doesn't run it down fast and this certainly has nothing to do with the slowness that people had with jailbreaking. Early JB slowed the phone down because of crappy kernel building but for the most part that has been resolved. This has nothing to do with app coding.

That being said, there are apps that do stuff like drain the battery and make the phone run hot (MyWi and My3G for instance) but that is to be expected considering you are bypassing certain restrictions that Apple put in place for this exact reason. Even Face Time on WiFi will drain a battery pretty fast. I guess Apple coding isn't efficient?

Your whole reply was one HUGE oxymoron.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.