Refit issues with boot camp using windows 7

Reaction score
Upon installign refit and trying to boot into windows 7 i found that it stayed on a command prompt and didnt boot up i uninstalled refit and i could only access macosx upon boot up so i reinstalled refit and now im back where i was i will also add that i use that windows 7 partition with VMWare Fusion and help please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
Hold Option when booting to choose where you want to boot (Mac OS X or W7)

OP
W
Reaction score
Hold Option when booting to choose where you want to boot (Mac OS X or W7)

I know how to do that im saying that when i booted up after uninstalling refit osx was the only bootable option and now when i hold option refit is the only bootable option then im right back where i started

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
Why do you need refit? Are you triple or quad booting?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why do you need refit? Are you triple or quad booting?

When installed properly, rEFIt makes for a very nice boot menu eliminating the need to press the OPTION key or keep changing settings. It's very configurable, however, it's not something that IMO a novice should attempt to install.

To the OP: Make sure that you have read the documentation for rEFIt on their web site. Specifically, take a look at the "refit.conf" file located in MacIntosh HD/efi/refit/

OP
W
Reaction score
When installed properly, rEFIt makes for a very nice boot menu eliminating the need to press the OPTION key or keep changing settings. It's very configurable, however, it's not something that IMO a novice should attempt to install.

To the OP: Make sure that you have read the documentation for rEFIt on their web site. Specifically, take a look at the "refit.conf" file located in MacIntosh HD/efi/refit/

Id consider myself intermediate im good with computers but just havent fooled around with this stuff much, I was trying to boot to both xp and 7 thats why i used refit then this issue occoured and now i am here with only the ability to boot to osx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" Core i7 - 2.66 GHz - 8GBS RAM - 500GB Hard Drive @ 7200 RPMs -
I'm new to he whole Mac experience, but I'm skilled enough to work my way through things. I also downloaded rEFIt for quad-booting (atm the moment its only a dual boot...:(). What i did for it to show up upon boot up was drag the rEFIt file to the Macintosh HD icon on the desktop. It worked for me.

OP
W
Reaction score
I'm new to he whole Mac experience, but I'm skilled enough to work my way through things. I also downloaded rEFIt for quad-booting (atm the moment its only a dual boot...:(). What i did for it to show up upon boot up was drag the rEFIt file to the Macintosh HD icon on the desktop. It worked for me.

Upon transferring the refit folder to the OsxHd on my desktop it removed a crucial component and i was once again back to the only bootable disk being osx i worry that refit has destroyed some file that allowed osx to read the boot camp partition and thus boot from it my question now is how do i restore those files? but thanks for your suggestion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" Core i7 - 2.66 GHz - 8GBS RAM - 500GB Hard Drive @ 7200 RPMs -
oh man, really sorry. I wonder why that happened though because it works well for me.

...now the issue of fixing everything. i'm worried i might screw something else up for you >_< but seeing as rEFIt is just a menu (i think) i'm pretty sure it doesn't have the power to delete files. I'd say to remove it from the Mac HD icon, but im sure you tried that already. Sorry again :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.