• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

New Galaxy Tab firmware bans hacks beyond iPad levels

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Wow, suddenly the iPad looks a LOT more attractive to me. Well, that's if I ever decide to get into the whole pad thing.... But what a bunch of hypocrites the bunch at Google seem to be turning into, hu ? From an Android phone user's POV, this behavior worries and bothers me a lot. I love my phone, and it's truly a powerhouse especially given that I have an unlimited data plan with Sprint, but, if Google has no control over their hardware manufacturer's, I wouldn't be surprised if a bit of a backlash were unleashed.

I remember when I first read about the Android OS, and how exciting it seemed to think that we'd have a truly open source platform going head to head in the market to compete with Apple's iOS. That's all anyone in that sector was talking about. And now it seems that those ideas were simply too big to keep their proverbial britches up, and that in order to stay alive, the plan is to succumb to the same old industry standards or get eaten alive.

I'm not giving up my unlimited data and calls to anyone/anytime, but if they start doing this with their phones, I'm going to be mighty unhappy to say the least.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Apple and Android make dumb phones look more attractive on a daily basis.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Apple and Android make dumb phones look more attractive on a daily basis.
Others would call them uncomplicated phones.
It brings me back to the days when a phone was a phone and not a camera or a web browser or an electronic book or a portable gaming machine or etc etc. I think you get the point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Toe-may-toe toe-mah-toe, same thing. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
Others would call them uncomplicated phones.
It brings me back to the days when a phone was a phone and not a camera or a web browser or an electronic book or a portable gaming machine or etc etc. I think you get the point.

Lol yes!! I almost miss those as well. I feel that way about the iPad. Main reason for me to buy it was for the iBook app. Sure I could've gotten a Kindle or Nook, but I'm a loyal supporter of brands that produce quality items (LG, Samsung, Apple).

Also as already mentioned it's annoying when they advertise Droid OS as open source, but announce this for their "iPad Killer." To be honest I just don't see Samsung's Galaxy Tab becoming a serious threat to the iPad at all. I think initial sales will be nice because it's a pad device, but after a few months I foresee them dropping the prices and almost giving them away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Lame... Good thing my Android device is already rooted so HTC/Sprint can't pull a fast one on me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13' Macbook Pro i5
I don't think you guys (or the writers of that article) have the Google-OEM relationship right, Google does only one thing to do with android software: they make the Google apps, that is the market, YouTube,GMail and a few small other things, the code work is done by the Open Handset Alliance. Also the OHA has nothing to do with Samsung's lock down of the Tab,They did not make the code that does that, Samsung did. I have a good bet that carriers are forcing it to prevent people from jumping ship to another carrier or cheating the system, Samsung does not stand to benefit in any way from this unless someone is handing them money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think you guys (or the writers of that article) have the Google-OEM relationship right, Google does only one thing to do with android software: they make the Google apps, that is the market, YouTube,GMail and a few small other things, the code work is done by the Open Handset Alliance. Also the OHA has nothing to do with Samsung's lock down of the Tab,They did not make the code that does that, Samsung did. I have a good bet that carriers are forcing it to prevent people from jumping ship to another carrier or cheating the system, Samsung does not stand to benefit in any way from this unless someone is handing them money.

Excellent point. Motorola/Verizon attempted the same thing with Fuse on their Droid X. That didn't really work but it was a nice try. It had nothing to do with Google any more than Verizon pushing Madden NFL bloatware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I'm actually surprised that anyone is surprised that the manufacturers or cell carriers may be doing this. Really? Come on folks, the cell companies have been locking down systems for YEARS. Did you really think that Android would eventually not be impacted by this? The cell carriers control what you see and what you can do, pretty simple. I'm sure, as had been stated, Samsung is getting paid for this by someone.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
And this is exactly why Apple told the phone carriers "Our phone, our way or we find another carrier". I think they realised all of this would eventually happen and they avoided it. Well if I had a choice system closed by the designers/manufacturers or system closed by the phone carriers, I'd take the former any day of the week.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.