• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

RIM thought Apple was lying about original iPhone in 2007

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
And this is when Apple's secrecy is a good thing. Completely caught RIM by surprise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
And that sure sounds true of Steve Ballmer and his mighty unpopular Windows 7 phone.

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/28/technology/personaltech/28pogue.html

Nice. I was actually playing with the Surround while waiting for the AT&T rep to get my new iPhone from the back room. It's not that bad from what I played with, but I noticed the lack of multitasking immediately. This has never been a big deal with me as I don't expect a phone to function as a computer, but considering multitasking is the current norm for smartphones I was surprised to see it left out.

My GF needs a new phone and they ALMOST had me consider skipping the iPhone and getting two of the Surrounds for $199, but then she became the voice of reason when she told me that we'd have to learn how to use an entirely new phone with its programs and such. No thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
This is a idea i like
Without even fully waking the phone, you can see the date and time, your next appointment, and how many new messages await (e-mail, voice mail, texts).
Very useful. To be able to pull the phone out of you pocket and glance to see what is waiting for you . . . . . Priceless. Yea ill have my knockers, that say "What, too lazy now to click and swipe" Answer. YES !!!! And became irritating quite quick with me.
And think of the Battery Life over time... Its not much in one instant but over a whole day, how much would it use powering on the screen and getting the processor going every time its done. Just saying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
This is a idea i like
Very useful. To be able to pull the phone out of you pocket and glance to see what is waiting for you . . . . . Priceless. Yea ill have my knockers, that say "What, too lazy now to click and swipe" Answer. YES !!!! And became irritating quite quick with me.
And think of the Battery Life over time... Its not much in one instant but over a whole day, how much would it use powering on the screen and getting the processor going every time its done. Just saying.

And that's why my phone is jailbroken and has LockInfo installed... I wish Apple would implement something more useful on the home screen. I can't live without LockInfo now.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
And that sure sounds true of Steve Ballmer and his mighty unpopular Windows 7 phone.

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/28/technology/personaltech/28pogue.html
That article makes the W7 phones look like carbon clones (almost) of the first iphone. Even the exact same lack of features that the iphone 1.0 had. As we all know in 2007 that's totally ok but in 2011 no good. People though are saying it's a phone to watch. And I agree. We can watch it succeed or we can watch it fail.

And to me this is a disaster for MS. And I'll explain why. We know MS get their profits from business/enterprise just upgrading their MS products. And those folk just buy the MS products cause it's all they know. And they work fine for what they want. But if MS is true to it's word and W8 is very gaming focused and less business/enterprise oriented they could lose massive shares in that market. And if that happens they won't have the spare cash they have today to flitter around on whimsical half baked products not very well thought out.

I agree that most people know hard gamers love their self built PCs. But do they generate a lot of revenue for MS? I would guess not. I would say their profits lie in business/enterprise as I said above. So yeah the future of MS to me is just making/promoting products that in a way go against their already proven money makers. I'm all for new products. But if those new products kill your other multi billion dollar arms of your company then that's dumb. Very dumb.

Reaction score
And that's why my phone is jailbroken and has LockInfo installed... I wish Apple would implement something more useful on the home screen. I can't live without LockInfo now.

+1, it is awesome!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
My guess W8 will come out in the usual half a dozen costly versions to try and cover all market shares and capturing less and less.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.