Printer driver trouble

Reaction score
I've had a problem with a printer, whose effect on a (nearly new) MacBook Pro has been drastic. Not only do applications like Office hang when they attempt to connect to the printer, but the "print and fax" pane of System Preferences hangs when I click on it; and when I issue "cancel -a" from terminal I get the message "cancel: Unable to contact server!"

These are the two remedies that were suggested in earlier posts to this list for stuck print jobs.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do short of reinstalling the operating system?

The whole point of buying a Mac is not to have to do that sort of thing. It's rather disappointing

Ross

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I would try 2 things before re-installing everything.

First: try repairing the disk permissions, using Disk Utility in Applications/Utilities

Then: Try downloading and installing the combo update for your Mac, I'm assuming you are running Snow leopard OSX 10.6.X

Mac OS X v10.6.5 Update (Combo)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can try what louishen suggested first, however, when you post here with a problem, you need to supply us with some information that we can use to help you.

For example: What printer do you have? (make, model) Did you download the latest drivers for it?

Year and model of your Mac? Which version of OS X are you running?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.