Help Configuring Hotkeys

Reaction score
Hi, sorry I haven't contributed much to the forums yet but I have a question about configuring the extra F hotkeys on my new keyboard. I'm using a macbook with snow leopard and I finally got the external keyboard with the numberpad.

I'm often typing in equations into the computer but its a nuisance to always type "x^" and "( )" constantly from the numberpad. I tried playing with the system prefs for the keyboard but I can't find a way to map F16 to be "x^", F17 to be "(" and F18 to be ")".

Any suggestions?

When I try to map it out, I think its supposed to be a command. Is it possible to make it just reconfigure the key location?

OP
Z
Reaction score
Figured it out with the help of a few different sources. Figured I'd explain it for anyone else out there who might want help.

First I had to make a workflow in automator:

1. Get specified text - "my text"
2. Copy to clipboard
3. Run applescript:
on run {input, parameters}
tell application "Google Chrome"
activate
tell application "System Events"
keystroke "v" using command down
end tell
return input
end tell
end run

Then I saved it as "run x" and added it to my keyboard shortcuts.

Small delay, but that's understandable because it has to run the process. If theres anything more efficient than what I did, please let me know, but this works fine for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.