Using old iPhone 3GS as iPod Touch like

Reaction score
Hello all - I want to pick up a new iPhone 4 16G. I have a iPhone 32G 3GS. Can I use the 3GS as a glorified Touch by syncing my music and such on the 3GS and use Wi-Fi; then use the iPhone 4 for general phone and Apps? TIA for your responses.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I JUST did this over the weekend..I bought the iPhone 4 and upgraded to that from my iPhone 3G.

So here are the steps. If you are running iOS 4.x on your iPhone 3GS, then make sure you create a backup of your phone. If you aren't running iOS 4.x, do the upgrade and then make a backup.

Now when you get the iPhone 4, plug it in and basically restore the newly created backup so you get back all of your information the same way you have it on the 3GS. On the 3GS, you can then go ahead and just sync the music/apps you want.

Since I had the iPhone 3G, I first downgraded to iOS 3.1.3 and then added a few apps on it and gave it to my wife to use as a iPod Touch with WiFi..and it works great..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3Gs & White iBook PPC
Backing Up 3Gs 3.1.2 & Switch to iPod Touch?

Hi: RazOrEdge said: "If you aren't running iOS 4.x, do the upgrade and then make a backup."

Yikes. The only time I ever upgraded my then new 3Gs iOs in late 2009 to 3.1.2, I lost 1000 photos. Haven't wanted to upgrade since.

Shouldn't a backup always be done first -- BEFORE upgrading the iOS?

~~~

Re: Using 3Gs as just an iPod Touch, I've been thinking about that as well:
•Is there a way to just shut off the "phone service" part of the phone (no calls) & drop that part of the ATT fee? (since I don't use iphone as a phone, but only as an "internet machine").
•Or, was thinking maybe buy an iPod Touch & use home wifi & just drop ATT altogether! No more ATT bills!
•But... Can an iPod Touch do everything an iPhone can do? (minus making/receiving phone calls)?
•Bigger BUT!!! Can all content & apps on my 3Gs 3.1.2 (minus the "making phone calls" part) be moved/copied/transferred onto a new iPod Touch?

~~~

Re: backing up 3Gs 3.1.2, if anyone knows for certain:

Does "backing up" a 3Gs 3.1.2 via iTunes save a copy of all the content that has been entered INTO apps? Such as...
•tons of notes entered into various 3rd party notes apps;
•video creations saved inside Reel Director app;
•video clips saved inside Video Ninja app;
•panorama photo creations saved inside Panoramatic360 app;
•photos saved inside various Photo Files/Folders apps;
•pdfs saved inside GoodReader app;
•YouTube vids saved inside Downloads app;
etc. etc.?

Reaction score
I would backup first before updating to iOS 4. If you don't want to use the phone feature in the iPhone, just take the SIM out and you should be all set. The iPod Touch 4G has advantages over the iPhone 3Gs such as front facing camera, Retina Display & FaceTime.

Yes, you can transfer the content and apps onto a new iPod Touch (using iTunes).
macs4bg said:
Does "backing up" a 3Gs 3.1.2 via iTunes save a copy of all the content that has been entered INTO apps? Such as...
•tons of notes entered into various 3rd party notes apps;
•video creations saved inside Reel Director app;
•video clips saved inside Video Ninja app;
•panorama photo creations saved inside Panoramatic360 app;
•photos saved inside various Photo Files/Folders apps;
•pdfs saved inside GoodReader app;
•YouTube vids saved inside Downloads app;
etc. etc.?
If it's being entered into apps, then you should be fine.

If you no longer need that SIM, give AT&T a call and tell them to terminate the contract (you will need to pay early termination fees).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3Gs & White iBook PPC
Decisions, Decisions!

I would backup first before updating to iOS 4.

Thanks DeanP! Like they say "gun shy," I am severely "backup" & "upgrade" shy... have heard so many disaster stories, not to mention those original 1000 photos. So thanks for the confirmation that a backup should definitely be done first.

If you don't want to use the phone feature in the iPhone, just take the SIM out and you should be all set.

Ah, so that's the secret! The way the incoming calls flash in your face (while intently reading online) always startles the bejebers outta me! I really hate that. Since I never give the # out, it's always wrong #'s calling anyway. (I have a separate throw-away cell I use for calls.)

So what's on the SIM card? & how should it be stored for possible future use? (does it need to be wrapped in an anti-static bag or anything like that?)

Will text-messaging still work without the SIM card?

The iPod Touch 4G has advantages over the iPhone 3Gs such as front facing camera, Retina Display & FaceTime.

Excellent, thank you! Just wanted to make sure. Need to make some decisions soon:
•Backup, then Update iOS, & change battery on 3Gs & just keep it; take out SIM to stop calls & save a few bucks from ATT; & also buy Airport Express router for wifi via current comcast fios due to my grandfathered ATT "Unlimited" data plan speed being "reduced considerably" beginning 10/1/11 due to new ATT bait & switch rule for "heavy data users" :-/
•Or buy new iPhone 5 hardware/software; get Airport Express, etc. to "cover my b***" data-usage-wise due to new ATT upcoming 10/1/11 rule;
•Or buy iPod Touch, move all apps etc. to it from 3Gs, buy/use Airport Express wifi full-time & dump ATT phone & data charges completely.

No matter which route I take 1-2-3, I will still need to get the router due to new ATT rule as of 10/1/11. Never used wifi before, it sounds so finnicky, spotty, not necessarily reliable, & complicated.

I have soooo much LOVED my white 3Gs & it has worked perfectly, never one single problem (& that's at 12-16-20 hrs. a day for 2+ years straight), I hate to say Goodbye to it. (So many stories of so many phone problems others have had! So I consider mine was blessed & well-made). Now whether it drops calls or not I don't know. Never used it for calls.

So basically:
•iPhone = Internet +Phone.
•iPod Touch = Internet -Phone.

Yes, you can transfer the content and apps onto a new iPod Touch (using iTunes). If it's being entered into apps, then you should be fine.

Thanks for the assurance! I read contradictory-sounding statements at Apple Support site so wasn't sure. One said apps are NOT saved; the other said they were. It's really "hairy" (scary, lol, 1970's lingo).

If you no longer need that SIM, give AT&T a call and tell them to terminate the contract (you will need to pay early termination fees).

Hmm, I "think" my phone's 2-year contract already expired, but my iphone is on a family plan w/other relatives, & everybody's contracts for their individual phones are all staggered, ending at different times. I'm pretty sure I did not enter into a second 2-year contract, but now you have me wondering, lol. Bought 3Gs July 2009. Spring 2011 ATT said I could upgrade phone but I never did.

You've been great, DeanP. Thanks for the specific answers!

Reaction score
Iphone 3gs with new itunes stuck in reboot... help!

My friend is having the same issue I am having with our Iphone 3gs. Both of us are using our phones for ipod touches. Sadly, when upgrading this past weekend to the new itunes, this kicked both of our phones out. Meaning, its stuck in a reboot phrase. I found out that the new itunes does not support the iphone 3gs (Why is that?). What can we do to fix this problem so we can use our phones again as itouches?

Reaction score
Your experience with iPhone 3GS not syncing with new iTunes

so angdrea21, did you figure out how to get your iPhone 3GS syncing with the new iTunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 Mac Mini i5, macOS 10.15.4, iPhone 11 Pro Max, PowerBook G4, iMac G3/4/5
I guess this is kind of an old thread, but I've been using a 3GS that I bought second hand in August 2012 without issue. I have the newest iTunes, and iOS 6.1.2.

I replaced the battery a few weeks ago and it's been like a brand new phone since then.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.