Macbook Pro vs Macbook Air

Reaction score
Hello,

I do not know much about computers at all (which is why I'm here), so if I say something incorrectly or sound stupid...I'm sorry. :)

I currently have a MBP 15" 2.66ghz core 2 duo with a 500gb HD. I use it for college, browsing the internet, and very occasionally photoshop. I find it to be heavy to carry around, especially adding on with med school books. I also heard that an air has no moveable parts which is better for my clumsiness. I was thinking about selling this and buying the 13" MBA 1.86ghz and an external HD.
First, would this be a mistake even though the MBP I have is completely unnecessary?
Second, if it is not a mistake, with what I will be using it for, will I notice a huge difference in the speed of the processor? Does the processor determine the internet speed also, or is that completely separate?

Also, I don't know much about external HDs either...is it possible to put programs on one, like photoshop? Will the computer be slower when one is plugged in?

We also have an iMac in our house, which I never use, but can start using for photoshop and things like that if the air is the better idea.

I just wanted advice from people who knew what they were talking about...especially because I assume if I go to the Apple store they will definitely tell me to buy another haha.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
No internet speed is not determine by your processor. No plugging in your machine doesn't make your machine slower. >_>"

You can install Photoshop on a MBA. In fact all your most used programs should be installed on the MBA and all your data should be on the external HDD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.