• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Canon HFS21?

Reaction score
I just purchased a Canon HFS21. I didn't do my research well enough, I guess, and now don't have a clue how to get the files into my MacPro, and MacBook Pro. I've done some checking and most are telling me to try "Aunsoft".

Is there a better or easier way to get the files into my Macs?

I'm lost!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
What software are you planning to use? iMovie? Final Cut? Premier? Something else?

What version of that software do you have?

Have you tried iMovie?

What version of OS X are you running?

Both machine names indicate you are running Intel, so that is good news.

OP
M
Reaction score
What software are you planning to use? iMovie? Final Cut? Premier? Something else?

What version of that software do you have?

Have you tried iMovie?

What version of OS X are you running?

Both machine names indicate you are running Intel, so that is good news.

I have excess to iMovie 8.0.6, and Premier CS4. I haven't tried either yet, as I just got the camera. I've been reading of the difficulties of using a Mac. I just wanted to know where to start. I'm running OSX 10.6.5 on my Macs.

Thanks for your reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
You start with the obvious; Read the camera manual so you know it's possible quirks. After that...

Record some video, hook it up to the Mac, turn the camera on and set any required settings as the camera manual described. Do not record any standard definition (I think your camera is HD) if that option is even available.

Start up iMovie and click on the camera icon on the left of the middle tool bar. Hopefully you'll see icons of the video on your camera pop into a panel or window. I believe you can play them right there. You then figure out how to import them into iMovie. Unfortunately Apple's online tutorials are now MIA, but likely the iMovie Help menu will be helpful here. There are many tutorials on YouTube.

I don't know anything about Premier, but again, I'm sure there are online tutorials to be found. I didn't know the version from CS4 ran on a Mac.

The last thing you should be starting with is reading other peoples problems or suggestions when you haven't even played with your new toy. That is wasted energy and time that may even discourage you. Completely ignore that stuff until you hit a problem.

First familiarize your self with the new device and move forward from there. As you become familiar with it and learn some of the nomenclature, you'll be able to perform better on-line searches and formulate better questions when you get stuck and need to post your own questions.

The versions of OS X and iMovie should work fine with your new camera. That version of iMovie is what came with iLife '09. iLife '11 was just recently released, but I see no reason for you to upgrade.

OP
M
Reaction score
You start with the obvious; Read the camera manual so you know it's possible quirks. After that...

Record some video, hook it up to the Mac, turn the camera on and set any required settings as the camera manual described. Do not record any standard definition (I think your camera is HD) if that option is even available.

Start up iMovie and click on the camera icon on the left of the middle tool bar. Hopefully you'll see icons of the video on your camera pop into a panel or window. I believe you can play them right there. You then figure out how to import them into iMovie. Unfortunately Apple's online tutorials are now MIA, but likely the iMovie Help menu will be helpful here. There are many tutorials on YouTube.

I don't know anything about Premier, but again, I'm sure there are online tutorials to be found. I didn't know the version from CS4 ran on a Mac.

The last thing you should be starting with is reading other peoples problems or suggestions when you haven't even played with your new toy. That is wasted energy and time that may even discourage you. Completely ignore that stuff until you hit a problem.

First familiarize your self with the new device and move forward from there. As you become familiar with it and learn some of the nomenclature, you'll be able to perform better on-line searches and formulate better questions when you get stuck and need to post your own questions.

The versions of OS X and iMovie should work fine with your new camera. That version of iMovie is what came with iLife '09. iLife '11 was just recently released, but I see no reason for you to upgrade.

The camera manual is a bit foggy, that's why I'm asking, but I'm recording and soon will hook it up and see.

Good advice, you are quite right about getting ahead of myself.

Again, thanks . . .

OP
M
Reaction score
Well I did as you suggested, and nothing worked. When I connected the USB to the HFS21, and it asked for an application in which to download the contents, iMovie was not highlighted, and it would not open. I guess the complaints are legitimate. I won't work with a Mac!

Perhaps a Sony would work, or do I have to do to a lousy Windows machine. It's very frustrating, and very disappointing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini
Don't give up just yet. I have a flash based Canon HD camcorder and I have no problems. First make certain that the camera is connected to the power adapter. It will not transfer under battery power. Connect the camera via usb, then open imovie manually. Choose file > import from camera. Imovie should then detect the camera's flash drive and give you the option to import clips from the drive.

Give this a try and let us know how it goes.

NOTE: iMovie does not work with the native 24p MTS videos. You MUST record your video in 30p or 60i mode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Without proper explanation it is difficult to help. Statements like "I won't work with Mac!" don't help you either.

I'm taking a wild guess that when you plugged in the camera iPhoto opened or a pop up panel of sort appeared suggesting iPhoto use. If so, that suggests you may have taken photos with your camera. Just hit the Cancel button and then go open iMovie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It will not transfer under battery power.

Sounds like you are saying that the camera has to be plugged into the wall for power.

NOTE: iMovie does not work with the native 24p MTS videos. You MUST record your video in 30p or 60i mode.

Do you know if this is true with the new iMovie 9.x in iLife 11?

OP
M
Reaction score
Don't give up just yet. I have a flash based Canon HD camcorder and I have no problems. First make certain that the camera is connected to the power adapter. It will not transfer under battery power. Connect the camera via usb, then open imovie manually. Choose file > import from camera. Imovie should then detect the camera's flash drive and give you the option to import clips from the drive.

Give this a try and let us know how it goes.

I should have checked this forum earlier. I followed your instructions, and it worked.

On another matter how much better is 24p than 30p, or 60i, how do they compare with watching something in 1080p.

Again thanks all . . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini
24p is a cinematic mode used by the movie industry. It is mostly used when the video will someday be transfered to film. I shoot in 30p almost exclusively. I arrived at that just by trying different settings and watching the final product on my 60" HDTV. It looked better to me in low light (indoor) conditions. If you are going to be shooting fast motion in the outdoors (sports, etc.), 60i may be better for you.

OP
M
Reaction score
24p is a cinematic mode used by the movie industry. It is mostly used when the video will someday be transfered to film. I shoot in 30p almost exclusively. I arrived at that just by trying different settings and watching the final product on my 60" HDTV. It looked better to me in low light (indoor) conditions. If you are going to be shooting fast motion in the outdoors (sports, etc.), 60i may be better for you.

Thanks for the info, and again thanks for your help. I think I'm on my way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
follow up to HFS 21

hi, i am curious how the HFS 21 is working with i Life. I just bought one and want to make sure it works ok before i take it out of the box.

thanks
cliff keller

C

chas_m

hi, i am curious how the HFS 21 is working with i Life. I just bought one and want to make sure it works ok before i take it out of the box.

thanks
cliff keller

Google "Canon HFS21 iMovie" and that should give you your answer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.