external portable hard disk problem...please help me

Reaction score
im not sure im posting on the right room but i think this is related. admin, if you found this is the wrong room please tell me to re-post

i bought a external wd portable hard disk (passport ellite) and after using it every is fine. However, i can only copy file to it and can not send and file from this to another storage...can any one explain to me what is happenning?...thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
What is the Passport Elite formatted as i.e. Fat32, Mac OS Extended Journal?
From the factory it usually is Fat32 and that could be the problem, in which case reformatting it to Mac OS Extended Journal will fix the problem.
Note:
If you also want to have a Windows machine read the drive then you should leave it as FAT32

DavidH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
How are you trying to copy files from the disk?

Usually people have trouble copying to a disk rather than from it

OP
T
Reaction score
What is the Passport Elite formatted as i.e. Fat32, Mac OS Extended Journal?
From the factory it usually is Fat32 and that could be the problem, in which case reformatting it to Mac OS Extended Journal will fix the problem.
Note:
If you also want to have a Windows machine read the drive then you should leave it as FAT32

DavidH

thanks i have thought about this because when i purchase it from ebay they also advise me to reformat. however, in the parkage they did not content and instruction how to format it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
thanks i have thought about this because when i purchase it from ebay they also advise me to reformat. however, in the parkage they did not content and instruction how to format it.

Plug it into Mac. Utilities -> Disk Utility. Click on the drive and then select Erase and make the format be Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)

OP
T
Reaction score
How are you trying to copy files from the disk?

Usually people have trouble copying to a disk rather than from it

i got it another way i can copy file from another external hard drive store but i can not copy a file from my external hard drive to another hard drive. How can i fix it? PS (i already format the hard drive)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.