iMAC black spots on screen and fan too noisy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMAC, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.93 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 640 GB HDD, NVIDIA GE Force GT 120
Hi,
I bought this iMAC last year. One day there was a power cut and my UPS did not work. MAC suddently shut down. When i switched it on again it's fan started creating too much noise. Previously it was almost silent but now the noise is more than what comes out of a Windows CPU.

There are dark spots/ patches on my screen. There were only 2 a few months back but now they are increasing. Someone suggested that the capacitors need to be reset or something.

Please advise.

Gaurav

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is sounds like a hardware problem. Which iMac do you have? Tell us the model and year and what version of OS X you're running. And if you just purchased it new last year, assuming it's less than a year old, you may want to make an appointment with your local Apple store genius bar and have it looked at.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMAC, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.93 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 640 GB HDD, NVIDIA GE Force GT 120
Configuration of my iMAC:
Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard
NVIDIA GeForce GT 130 graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR3 memory
24-inch model with 2.93GHz processor
Intel Core 2 Duo processor
640GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA hard drive

(Serial No. W89162010TL). I bought this for my cousin for her studies. I got this machine for INR 87,000.

I approached the reseller from whom I bought this machine. After diagnose I was advised that the LCD screen & motherboard needs to be replaced. The total cost as they advised is INR 70,000. When I bought this machine as a customer I was not told about the hardware replacement costs. I was not even told about the Apple care package in detail. Therefore even after investing a big sum of INR 87000 I did not buy the apple care package which is for only INR 9000. As a customer I am a novice in Apple hardware and I would have expected the apple reseller to tell me the following things in detail:

Why is Apple offering the care package. Why isn’t Microsoft or IBM offering such packages.
What is its use and how will it help me.
What are the various hardware costs and what will be the implications if I am not covered by this apple care package.

Being a student it is not at all possible for my cousin to invest another INR 70,000 to get the LCD & motherboard replaced. Her studies have now come to a complete halt as we bought this iMAC for her studies. So I have had to take a stand and make things work for her.

I am extremely happy with the Apple technology as a whole. Not once in these 1.3 years did I face any problem of viruses or crashed software. This is so user friendly as compared to Windows. However just because of the extremely poor services and utter lack of professionalism by the resellers I would not like to recommend an Apple machine to anyone at all.

Apple reseller from whom I bought this machine:

Unicorn Infosolutions Pvt. Ltd.
B/9, Shivalik
Malviya Nagar,
New Delhi – 17, INDIA
Tel No. : 011-40661666/ 9811471944

I WANT TO RAISE THIS ISSUE DIRECTLY WITH THE APPLE INDIA COUNTRY HEAD AND APPLE GLOBAL SALES HEAD. I HAVE NOT GOT ANY HELP FROM APPLE CUSTOMER CARE AS WELL.

CAN YOU IF POSSIBLE HELP ME WITH THE NAMES & EMAIL IDs OF THESE PEOPLE? I GOT TO KNOW THAT APPLE INDIA SALES HEAD IS "MANEESH DHIR". BUT CAN'T FIND HIS EMAIL ID.

Gaurav B.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to deal directly with Apple India with your concerns. These forums are in no way affiliated with Apple nor are the folks who post here Apple employees (in any official capacity).

Go back to the reseller and ask to speak with their superiors or contact Apple India direct. Since you're in India, it would certainly be easier for you to obtain their email address or phone number.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.