macbook 13-inch white wont boot

Reaction score
I recently got a white 13 inch macbook off of my best friends dad and it worked perfectly. Im new to macs so I decided that i was best to update it if i wanted the best of it. It is running 10.4.1 and i did all the updated (quicktime, itunes, security update for intel) and it said that it failed to update and i thought oh well i can do without. it told me to restart and whan i clicked it it froze with only the wall paper showing for 2 hours until i manually shut it down with the power button. when i turned it on all i got was a grey apple with a spinning wheel thing. I figured it was the os and I decided i was gona jus install windows 7 over it since i dont have a mac os cd. I remembered that the cd is in maryland and i recently moved to mass so i was screwed. I did some googling and somebody said it might be ram so I pop out the two ram chips, givem a blow like a sega genesis, put them back in and same thing. i take one ram out and start it up and I got a solid white light where the sleep light is, the CD drive that WAS empty made the noise that it usually makes when it starts.... over and over and over and over again and the screen is black and unlit. When i took out the only ram i had in there i get a flashing white light. Normal right? Now when I put both RAM back in the macbook it does the black screen, CD drive (eerrrrrrree rrreerrrrrr) over and over again, and solid white light.

what do i do? i put a CD in the drive and it starts to spin... stops... spins... stops... spins over and over again. I can only get the CD out when i hold the power button down til the light goes crazy and flashes alot. the CD drive spins perfectly when i put the macbook into this mode but then after it ejects the disk (it ejects every disk i put in there (the ubuntu 7.04 disk gets red the longest)) i put it back in and it spins, stop, spin, stop.

My belief is that there is a disk that can be used as a key to boot it up when it reads in the crazy flashing light boot mode. i dont believe that the macbook is completely dead.

I took it to theapple store and a guy tested it with some external drive and he got the same results. then told me its most likely the logic board and would be $280. :Grimmace:

IM 16 YEARS OLD!!! POOR ENOUGH TO GET A FREE MACBOOK AND CANT EVEN AFFORD A NEW LOGIC BOARD EVEN IN MY DREAMS!!! IM DESPRATE FOR HELP!!!!!

What i know:
-Its most likely not the hard drive because I put my windows laptop HDD in it and my XBOX 360 HDD in it and tried without a HDD and still nothing.

-I get more function from it when i either take out both RAM chips, hold down the power button til the light flashes like crazy, or take out the battery, unplug it then hold power button, plug it in with the button still held down and the fan screams... with the CD drive repeating itself.

-Im ******

-the macbook does get warm when i leave it on and throw a blanket over it

What i dont know
-how to fix it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.