Questions on Reinstalling the OS

Reaction score
Its that time. Time to reinstall my OS. But before i do, i want to make sure of a few things first. If i backup my drive onto an external hard drive with time machine, then bring it back to my laptop after i've reinstalled my OS, will it restore all of my applications too? I have some apps that i'm not sure if i still have the install disks and serial numbers for and if i lost the apps i would be screwed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

What do you mean 'that time'? No restore is required unless you are experiencing major problems such as a failed hard drive. If you do not use a utility such as Onyx, download it and run the cleaning and maintenance scripts and see if you notice an improvement for whatever reason you wanted to do a restore for.

This is not Windows and such steps as a format and clean install are usually unnecessary. Download from here:-

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/onyx.html

OP
T
Reaction score
my macbook is running really hot sometimes and my webcam doesn't work anymore. i had a professional look at it and she said that nothing looks wrong with the hardware so it might be a software problem.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
my macbook is running really hot sometimes and my webcam doesn't work anymore. i had a professional look at it and she said that nothing looks wrong with the hardware so it might be a software problem.

UNIX-based Operating Systems rarely, if ever, need to be reinstalled. This is a bad habit many of us bring with us from Windows, where inevitable registry corruption often leads to a need to do a clean install periodically.

At worst, you may need to create a new user account, but a full reinstall should not be necessary.

Heat can be caused by a number of factors, most notably in older machines, dust can build up in the ducts that are used to bring cool air in, and exhaust warm air. A few quick blasts of compressed air into the vents can work wonders for this.

Also, if you have programs that are running in the background unbeknownst to you, the added CPU cycles can lead to excessive heat. Try opening Activity Monitor and sorting the processes list by CPU utilization. That can often clue you into what's going on.

As far as the iSight cam, there's really not enough detail in your post to take a stab at what's going on there. Are there any error messages when you open programs that take advantage of it? Is the malfunction limited to one particular program, or all of them? Does the problem occur in Photo Booth?

OP
T
Reaction score
UNIX-based Operating Systems rarely, if ever, need to be reinstalled. This is a bad habit many of us bring with us from Windows, where inevitable registry corruption often leads to a need to do a clean install periodically.

At worst, you may need to create a new user account, but a full reinstall should not be necessary.

Heat can be caused by a number of factors, most notably in older machines, dust can build up in the ducts that are used to bring cool air in, and exhaust warm air. A few quick blasts of compressed air into the vents can work wonders for this.

Also, if you have programs that are running in the background unbeknownst to you, the added CPU cycles can lead to excessive heat. Try opening Activity Monitor and sorting the processes list by CPU utilization. That can often clue you into what's going on.

As far as the iSight cam, there's really not enough detail in your post to take a stab at what's going on there. Are there any error messages when you open programs that take advantage of it? Is the malfunction limited to one particular program, or all of them? Does the problem occur in Photo Booth?

My computer is a macbook pro. I got it new in the fall of 2008. The heat issue happens even if i'm just playing videos or playing a browser based game. I've been checking the activity monitor for a while now and a lot of times my browser and mail are the only things open and the browser might be running at upwards of %90. Is clearing the vents something i can do on my own?

My cam doesn't work in any program, including photo booth. Nothing even recognizes that a camera is connected. When i open photo booth a picture of a camcorder with a slash through it replaces where the video should be.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Are the games and videos that you are watching when the CPU use climbs Flash based? I ask that question because I have a 2998 MacBook Pro and I have noticed that Flash video often causes my fans to rev quite a bit when other tasks are moving along quite nicely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh Sly a 2998 MBP? You are always out in front my man!

Reaction score
Yes, your Time Machine restore disk can restore anything, including applications. I have done this myself before.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My computer is a macbook pro. I got it new in the fall of 2008. The heat issue happens even if i'm just playing videos or playing a browser based game. I've been checking the activity monitor for a while now and a lot of times my browser and mail are the only things open and the browser might be running at upwards of %90.

Probably because those games and videos are Flash-based. Flash is a hog, which is why Apple doesn't allow it on the iPhone/iPad. What you're experiencing is completely normal.

Is clearing the vents something i can do on my own?

Sure. Take a can of compressed air. With the lid closed, you should be able to see the vents at the back of the machine, just beneath the lid. Give it a few quick blasts with the compressed air and you should see some dust blow out.

My cam doesn't work in any program, including photo booth. Nothing even recognizes that a camera is connected. When i open photo booth a picture of a camcorder with a slash through it replaces where the video should be.

That sounds more like a hardware issue to me. Does the camera show as installed in System Profiler? (Applications => Utilities => System Profile).

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh Sly a 2998 MBP? You are always out in front my man!

Didn't know I had mastered time travel did you Harry? You should see this thing. It's a real beast. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Didn't know I had mastered time travel did you Harry? You should see this thing. It's a real beast. :)

Does it make you coffee in the morning?

OP
T
Reaction score
That sounds more like a hardware issue to me. Does the camera show as installed in System Profiler? (Applications => Utilities => System Profile).

I dont see anything about the camera in the hardware section of the profiler. could it be listed as something else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I dont see anything about the camera in the hardware section of the profiler. could it be listed as something else?

The only place I found it is if I select USB in the left column under Hardware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh got you Sly. You is really Rod Taylor with his Time Machine lol!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.