Upgrade to v4.2

Reaction score
I'm finally trying to upgrade my iphone 3G to v4.2. I'm currently running v3.1.3 on my phone now.

Whenever I try to update through itunes, it tells me my itunes is up to date for whatever reason, and never mentions anything about my iphone.

Is it possible to upgrade from v3.1.3 to v4.2? I can't even play someone of my games anymore, and I think it's because I never upgraded my OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Are you trying to update iTunes or the iPhone? They are different....

You post says you want to update your iPhone but then says you are trying to update iTunes. Which is it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I'm finally trying to upgrade my iphone 3G to v4.2. I'm currently running v3.1.3 on my phone now.

Whenever I try to update through itunes, it tells me my itunes is up to date for whatever reason, and never mentions anything about my iphone.

Is it possible to upgrade from v3.1.3 to v4.2? I can't even play someone of my games anymore, and I think it's because I never upgraded my OS.

Mate i know where your coming from. A friend of mine bought a iPhone 3GS just before christmas and bc i know Macs they wanted me to set up there phone, itunes and a account for them.
She had 10.4.11 and the iTunes for that era, and when i hit the Update iPhone button it too came and told me that iTunes was up to date.... I did some quick searching and didnt find much, but as they where hitting the road for holidays within the hour she said not to bother with it ATM.
I bought her SnowLeopard for Xmas, so when she returns ill install that with iTunes 10 and see what we come up with........ Will be interesting to see if anyone can come in with a solution ..... But as i said im not too worried (as it not my phone LOL) because when i give her SL im hoping that will cure the ailment .... Will keep a eye on this thread and if you are searching the web and find a solution please post back here to let others know as i dont believe we are the only 2 with this problem :)

Are you trying to update iTunes or the iPhone? They are different....

You post says you want to update your iPhone but then says you are trying to update iTunes. Which is it?

Same problem and its when you click the Update iPhone that it comes up with the message that "you have the latest iTunes, You are up to date"

It has me buggered

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mate i know where your coming from. A friend of mine bought a iPhone 3GS just before christmas and bc i know Macs they wanted me to set up there phone, itunes and a account for them.
She had 10.4.11 and the iTunes for that era, and when i hit the Update iPhone button it too came and told me that iTunes was up to date.... I did some quick searching and didnt find much, but as they where hitting the road for holidays within the hour she said not to bother with it ATM.
I bought her SnowLeopard for Xmas, so when she returns ill install that with iTunes 10 and see what we come up with........ Will be interesting to see if anyone can come in with a solution ..... But as i said im not too worried (as it not my phone LOL) because when i give her SL im hoping that will cure the ailment .... Will keep a eye on this thread and if you are searching the web and find a solution please post back here to let others know as i dont believe we are the only 2 with this problem :)

Same problem and its when you click the Update iPhone that it comes up with the message that "you have the latest iTunes, You are up to date"

It has me buggered

Cheers

Ah, She's using an old version of OSX. She needs to upgrade to at least 10.5 to get iTunes 10 and update the phone beyond iOS 3.x. Probably the same issue the OP has as well.

Oddly, it's not clearly spelled out on the Apple Web site that this is required. 10.5 or above is required for iTunes 10.x, and iTunes 10.x is required for iOS 4.x.

EDIT: Actually, it is kind of stated here, at least for the OSX and iTunes 10 requirements: http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/?ref=http://itunes.com

OP
Y
Reaction score
Ah, She's using an old version of OSX. She needs to upgrade to at least 10.5 to get iTunes 10 and update the phone beyond iOS 3.x. Probably the same issue the OP has as well.

Oddly, it's not clearly spelled out on the Apple Web site that this is required. 10.5 or above is required for iTunes 10.x, and iTunes 10.x is required for iOS 4.x.

EDIT: Actually, it is kind of stated here, at least for the OSX and iTunes 10 requirements: Apple - iTunes - Download iTunes Now

I'm still running Tiger on my first generation Macbook. I don't even have Core 2 Duo, so I don't even know if I can run Snow Leopard.

I know Lion is supposed to come out sometime in the summer, so I'm trying to hold out till then for a new laptop.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Any Intel Mac will run Snow Leopard! So you are in luck! It's $29 for the DVD. How much RAM (Memory) do you have on that older Macbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

Yea did think as much. We were just flat out at that time as i was trying to get the phone working for her as she was packing the car to hit the road. She was rushing me, and telling me to hurry up . . . (she wanted to beat peak hour LOL)

Have just sent a TXT and told her all was good for her return ..

Thanks mate

OP
Y
Reaction score
Any Intel Mac will run Snow Leopard! So you are in luck! It's $29 for the DVD. How much RAM (Memory) do you have on that older Macbook?

Processor - 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo
Memory - 2GB

My Macbook is old school and needs to be replaced. I'm trying to hold out for Lion and a new Macbook Pro.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Memory - 2GB

My Macbook is old school and needs to be replaced. I'm trying to hold out for Lion and a new Macbook Pro.

2GB RAM? You will be fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Memory - 2GB

That'll work fine for Snow Leopard. It might even work with Lion, although Apple hasn't said specifically what the requirements will be IIRC.

Old School? No, My Quad G5 PowerMac is "old school"....sorry.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That'll work fine for Snow Leopard. It might even work with Lion, although Apple hasn't said specifically what the requirements will be IIRC.

Old School? No, My Quad G5 PowerMac is "old school"....sorry.

Baggss, I have heard it both ways so I guess we will have to wait to know for sure but some have said Lion will be 64-Bit only which would cut out the old Core Duo Macs.

No one knows for sure besides Apple, so we will have to wait I guess.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.