No room left on boot drive, spinning pizza...

Reaction score
Hi,

I partitioned my hard drive when I installed Snow Leopard (seemed like a good idea) and did not leave enough room on my boot (Apps) drive. At least, I think this is why my iMac has slowed to a crawl with pages and sites taking a looong (a couple minutes in many cases) time to load. I have 8 G available out of 50 on the Apps drive, and 118G out of 199 on the Data drive. I would like to resize the Apps drive but Disk utility won't let me, I am assuming since it is the working drive.

What choice do I have, other than reinstalling the OS and resizing the partitions then?

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
Disk utility works. Go to spotlight top right corner of your screen. Type Disk utility. Push enter.

Click your hard disk (not the partitions) then go to the partitions tab on your right as I did. Select the partition from there. You will need to take space from one of the bigger partitions and move it and make your boot partition bigger. viola!

OP
L
Reaction score
can't do it - don't have the handle in the bottom corner (if I knew how to insert the screen shot of the disk utility window I would). Maybe I can't do it because there is no room left - in yours there is a small band of white at the bottom, there is none in mine.

Edit - this is not a Boot camp partition, I don't use it, don't have Windoze installed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
May I suggest deleting your secondary partition. Then drag your operating systems partition to a bigger size of your liking , then re-create your other partition. Either way your going to need to remove that bigger one to add space to your first one.

So step 1
i'd backup whatever I have on the secondary
step 2
delete it in disk utility (the 2nd partition) and then extend the primary partition.
step 3
re-create the other partition.
step 4
copy back data.

Heres an example of my hard drive and what I would do to do what you want. Also I use image shack to host my images and just copy the URL to the add picture icon while making a post to get the image to show up here.

OP
L
Reaction score
I'm in the process of backing everything up, and cloning both drives (with super Duper), so that is an idea. I did try shrinking the data drive, but that didn't automatically make space to enlarge the Apps drive All I have on the data drive is pictures and music, so they should be easy to back up.

Thanks a lot! I will post with my results.

Image shack? I'll check it out. I saved the screen shot on my desktop, but of course, I had no URL to post...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes backup. If you look at the pictures. the free space is at the bottom of the partition. in order to get that space to go to the top drive you will need to remove the bottom partition, You will then be able to extend the drive to the size you desire. Then just recreate your other partition and your good to go. No need to re-format or install OS. I tested it on my other machine and it works fine the way i described.

And as for image shack. just go to the webpage. It will say upload. click that. select the picture you want to upload. Click it. Then after it brings up link url's to post. I did URL posts to forums. Copy the address and then paste into the forum window.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.