Problem installing ViaVoice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
Hi guys,
I have bought ViaVoice for Mac OS X but I can't get it ti start.
The main problem is that the stuff in the box doesn't really match the instruction manual (Brand new and sealed box but bought on eBay)
There are 2 CDs in the box, both of which look the same except one has a number ending in 94 and the other ends in 95. Apart from that, they appear identical. On inserting one of the discs, a disc icon appears on-screen. Double click it and a new window opens with several icons, one of which is labelled "Install ViaVoice 3.0 for Mac". Double click that and a message appears saying that the installer can't be loaded and Please wait for loader to be installed...... But nothing happens.
If I insert the other CD, a similar window fires up and there is an Install ViaVoice 3.02. You then follow a few screens with instructions and then the programme installs leading to a "ViaVoice installed successfully" message.
But then, when I try to start the prog, a message comes up saying that I need to run the Supersetup Assistant. There is an icon with that name but when I click it I get a drop down message saying that there was a problem starting the Supersetup Assistant and to click Continue to retry.
This loop goes on for ever.
Any ideas?
Cheers,
Steve.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Can you tell us a bit more about the machine and OS that you are attempting ViaVoice on? I haven't run it since about 10.2 or 10.3 because of performance and issues like this. I made the switch to iListen and now to Dragon Dictate.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi there,
The machine is a brand new Mac Mini Aluminium, one of the thinner ones. It runs Snow Leopard with 2.4 GHz and 2 gb of RAM. The OS gets checked for updates every few days and all updates are installed.
If it makes any difference, I only made the switch to Macs a couple of months ago.
Cheers,
Steve

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sorry, don't have any good news here. ViaVoice was written for OS X 10.1 and the last update was during 10.2 - it hasn't really worked since 10.3. IBM sold it to Nuance in 2003 who promptly killed it off in favor of Dragon Naturally Speaking. Doubt you'll get it working on any Intel Mac.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah well.
I guess I need to put it back on eBay with proper details and stick to dictating into Windows 7.
Thanks for the info though. It may be bad news but at least it means that I can stop worrying about it.
Cheers,
Steve

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you are really interested in voice dictation on the Mac Dragon for Mac - Dragon Dictate For Mac I know the current price is not great but it can sometimes be found cheaper.

@Bob Kudos for clearing that up. That's what I thought was happening. Had to go AFK before finding the ViaVoice requirements.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.