removing macintosh HD folder icon from macbook desktopdesktop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB on-chip shared L2 cache 1066MHz frontside bus 2GB (two 1G
I some how got the macintosh HD icon on my desktop and cannot remove it. Dragging to Trash does not work. Right-Click does not give the option to "move to trash".

I can drag to the dock and it puts the blue folder there, but icon still stays on the desktop. Remove folder from dock in a puff of smoke works. But icon still stays on the desktop.

Any idea's? I'm new to Mac's and using Macbook. Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Here ya go:

- go to the desktop
- go to the "Finder" drop down menu
- choose "Finder Preferences"
- click on "General" (if it's not selected already)
- select/deselect the box next to "Hard Disks"...to make the hard drive icon appear/disappear

This should do it, :)

- Nick

OP
U
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB on-chip shared L2 cache 1066MHz frontside bus 2GB (two 1G
I've done that also. Still stays on desktop.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
U
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, it says Macintosh HD

OP
U
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. When I Right-Click on the icon, have option to "duplicate". I tried that to see what would have happened. Got the following message.

“Macintosh HD” can’t be opened right now because it’s being used by another task, such as moving or copying an item or emptying the Trash. Try again when the current task is complete.

I don't have anything else going on to get this message. I've shut down and restarted a couple of times. Still get same message.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
Ok. When I Right-Click on the icon, have option to "duplicate". I tried that to see what would have happened. Got the following message.

“Macintosh HD” can’t be opened right now because it’s being used by another task, such as moving or copying an item or emptying the Trash. Try again when the current task is complete.

I don't have anything else going on to get this message. I've shut down and restarted a couple of times. Still get same message.

Did you restart after doing what Nick suggested above? That might fix it.

OP
U
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes. Before and after. Seems like shut down or restarts doesnt change this.

OP
U
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Under "finder - places - desktop", shouldn't this show up there? Nothing shows up under desktop in finder.

OP
U
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. I got it. I kept playing around with finder and I'm not sure how I did it. Ok. I was getting the general and the sidebar tabs mixed up under finder/preferences. I had one tab showing disk drives on desktop and the other tab not showing disk drives in the sidebar. It should be no for desktop and yes for sidebar. I had it the other way around.

Starting to like the Macbook after 26 years of MS.

Thanks for the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.