Saving passwords

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac
I've had my iMac for about two weeks. I don't think I have ever seen it ask if I wanted to save a password. I have lots for user ids and passwords and can't POSSIBLY remember what goes where. How can I get the iMac to save passwords or how can I manually store passwords in the keychain?

Reaction score
Password for what, websites? Those are generally stored via cookies on your machine. It would help if you gave us a bit more information.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac
Sorry, um, I want to save user ids and passwords for things like logging into my bank accounts, email, etc.

Reaction score
Bank accounts are via safari no or is this some application that you have installed? Email, are you using mail or some other application?

FYI, I just noticed that I am right down the road from you. I live in Laurel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Welcome to the forums.

You can set Safari, Firefox and Chrome to "remember you" the next time you visit a site, but most of the time cookies are used to remember the passwords.
When you do maintenance on the Mac and cookies are cleaned , you loose that functionality.

Many members on the forum are using an appl. called 1Password to manage all their different userID's and passwords.

1Password

If need be, passwords managed by 1Password can be synced to iPad and I believe iPhone as well.

Have a look and see if it would meet your needs.
There are other apps. out there as well that do the same thing.

Cheers ... Marc

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
1Password does indeed have an app for iPod touch / iPhone / iPad and Windows 7.

If you're not going to spring the price for 1Password right now, use the built in Keychain you already have. I used this for two years until I broke down and bought 1Pass...

Open up Applications - Utilities - Keychain Access
Once open, head for the menu bar - Keychain Access - General tab - put a checkin the Show Status in Menu Bar box.

Now you'll see a lock up on the right side of the menu bar.
Click it and then click Keychain Access

Inside you'll find some of the items that you've already had Safari save for you.
You can click on them and have it show you your password.
However, I've found it will not keep everything.

Whenever you go to sign up at a new site -open it up and head for File - New Secure Note item
I always typed in the user name and password in this box, then copy/paste into the boxes of the site. You'll also be able to keep any notes of other info you've provided them.

This is also a good place to store any keys for software you buy instead of having to go dig through old emails.

When I've done clean installs, this is the only thing I've actually migrated - I have moved the keychain after clean installs from 10.4 to 10.5 to 10.6

This is not a password manager, just a place to store all your stuff securely and still have relatively easy access to them.

Reaction score
I've been using 1password for I think two years now and it's been tons of help. They also have it for android via dropbox which is really useful if you're working with an android phone. I've found it completely worth the money spent. It's now supported by most web browsers and autofills correctly for most forms.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (late '08)
Bank accounts are via safari no or is this some application that you have installed? Email, are you using mail or some other application?

FYI, I just noticed that I am right down the road from you. I live in Laurel.

I take shelter in Bowie!

:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.