.dmg files

A

agentdunken

Hello all. I don't know if this goes here or not but i'm a linux user and I downloaded some .dmg files I found that had Icons and wall papers in them. Well how do you open .dmg files? Do you have to have a Mac to open them?

OP
B

badmojo

dmg file are like zip files to a mac. Yes, they open right up and reveal what looks like a disk drive. "Inside" the disk drive lies the actual app. Once you see the app you just drag it to the applications folder, or wherever you want. That's how you install programs on a mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
badmojo said:
dmg file are like zip files to a mac. Yes, they open right up and reveal what looks like a disk drive. "Inside" the disk drive lies the actual app. Once you see the app you just drag it to the applications folder, or wherever you want. That's how you install programs on a mac.

A DMG file actually is a disk image, which is different than a ZIP file. As you stated, when you open a DMG, it opens something like a virtual drive, and mostly behaves as such.
A ZIP file is only a compressed file.

As for Linux, I have no idea if it can open a DMG. If yes, you have to mount it, just like a drive. That's what OS X does with DMGs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.