Which is better between VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro on OS X Mavericks
I have heard bad things about Parallels, particularly that it is really slow, but it's been a while ago. I see that Parallels Desktop has a new version out that's saying it runs 40% faster than the previous version. I have never used it.

I have used VMware Fusion before, but ever since upgrading from Leopard to Snow Leopard, I haven't gotten my hands on a copy of VMware Fusion that is compatible for Snow Leopard. However, now that I'm reading up on Parallels and how its website is saying it is faster than VMware Fusion and more people prefer it, I don't know what to think.

Has anyone tried both of them who can tell me which one is faster and/or better? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
+1 to that review.
I used it and opted for Parallels in the end, because I like the look and the way it integrates, but there little between them really.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
I tried them both and I tried to remove them both. They both integrated well but I found the removal process especially if you integrated to a boot camp partition really didn't go over well. It messed up my windows installations on my bootcamp partition greatly then I ended up having to delete those partitions and re-install windows. Personally I just go with Boot-Camp built in from the get go as running natively is so much better then virtual. But if you do decide on one of them I'd recommend not using a boot camp partition and selecting integration into it. I'd just create an image and run off of that from my own personal experience.

I also found both of them to perform around the same. I guess it really depends on what programs you are trying to run. If your trying to game boot-camp built in is the only way to go as virtual will lack in performance in pretty much all aspects as to natively.

Reaction score
I tried out VMware - was very good, but just stuck with Bootcamp.

Have since installed Virtual box, freeware virtualisation from Sun - and it's excellent, and free.
So, well 'worth' trying out first - seriously, very impressive.

Coops

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Both Parallels and VMWare Fusion have trials (14-day I believe) that you can download and try it out for yourself.

I opted just to stick with VirtualBox which works fine for my occasional need to run Linux on my iMac..

Regards

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried out VMware - was very good, but just stuck with Bootcamp.

Have since installed Virtual box, freeware virtualisation from Sun - and it's excellent, and free.
So, well 'worth' trying out first - seriously, very impressive.

Coops

So, I am trying to get things going with VirtualBox, only I am at the step where it asks me to "Create new hard disk" or "Use existing hard disk." I have already partitioned my drive with Boot Camp. If I click "Create new hard disk," is it going to partition another drive, or will it let me use Boot Camp by clicking the "Use existing hard disk?" Or is this option having nothing to do with partitioning at all and I am just panicking?

I don't want to mess up my precious MacBook, so please forgive me if this is a stupid question. I'd rather ask a stupid question than f*** up my prized possession.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I don't believe VB allows you to use your Bootcamp partition for your VM disk. I could be wrong though. VB doesn't partition your disk. VMs run off a disk image which is basically a big file. Your disk doesn't get chopped up into discrete bootable sectors.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have now downloaded and installed VirtualBox and am running Windows virtually, FOR FREE. Yay!! Thanks for all your help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
For most Windows apps and as long as you don't need to use your BC partition as a VM, VirtualBox works well enough.

BTW, VMWare Fusion has a special going on right now. You pay only $9.99 for the latest version, however, you must have either a previous version of Fusion or Parallels to be eligible for the purchase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
BTW, VMWare Fusion has a special going on right now. You pay only $9.99 for the latest version, however, you must have either a previous version of Fusion or Parallels to be eligible for the purchase.

Superb, bought and downloaded as soon as I read this. Thanks !

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

Thanks for that Charlie .... But im a bit weirded out by it all, bc as i was reading the words "$9.99 for latest version" i received a email informing me of just this.....
Ill be buying it now just bc of this lol OMEN ?? or not ??

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Buy it. No evil omens that I know of. Besides, you can probably find an out of work Witch Doctor down there who will do an exorcism for you. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I actually switched about a year ago from Parallels to Fusion. As others have stated, they perform about the same, but the big difference to me is in support and the other soft benefits.

Parallels support, really, is subpar at best. VMWare has a much more robust support structure, not to mention they're a huge company supporting the virtualization needs of corporations as well as Fusion which makes me feel more secure about their long-term future.

Reaction score
^^ Been using VMWare for years and just setup a VSphere server as well. You can bet that they are going to be around for a while.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.