Internet Explorer for Macs??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
Is there a way to get a web browser to act like IE on macs? I just installed the Atomic Web Browser on my iPhone and noticed that it can be "identified as" different types of browsers.

Is there anyway to get firefox, chrome, safari, opera, etc. to act like internet explorer? There's a web-based program I use at work that requires internet explorer and it'd be great if i could use it at home on my mac. Unfortunately, the Internet Explorer for Macs (I think version 5.2) doesn't work.

If you know of any solutions that would be great! TIA.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
If it requires IE, chances are it needs IE's ActiveX scripting language and merely identifying a browser as IE won't be enough to get the page to display.

Fortunately, you can run IE using a technology called WINE. Originally developed for Linux, WINE has been ported to the Mac under the name "DarWINE". A more user-friendly version of it is produced commercially by CodeWeavers, called CrossOver.

Here's a good article on setting it up:

How to Download and get Internet Explorer for Mac

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
OP
AUZambo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
Reaction score
Safari Firefox and Active X

I have now read an enormous amount of info about how active x will not work, and very little on doing it...but still, there are rumors and fixes mentioned that i must be missing..

I am working with clients macs and the video server for security cameras...unfortunately it runs the video using active x...

Any ideas out there?
THANKS FOR ANY HELP.
Mike

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If something uses ActiveX, you have no choice but to use Internet Explorer. Look into CrossOver or consider virtualizing Windows on the client machines. Look at CrossOver first though to see if it meets your needs.

Reaction score
Internet Explorer for Mac

h!, Every one, i have Mac Os Z version 10.4.11 Process 733 Mhz Power PC G4, memory 512 MB SDRAM, startup Disk System Hd, i want IE 6 or above urgently? All type of software who support windows like wine, drawine, cross over, winbottler doesnt support me, plz help me out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.