Unhappy with Mac

Reaction score
I have three mac's a 13"/ 15"/ laptops and a 17' desk top. The 13 and the desk top have worked reasonably well, just a few problems. But the 15" lap was only three months old and I had to replace both logic board and Hard drive. Now I am getting the bbd way to often, especially when I am using preview. I think it's a processing problem. When the holiday's are over i will take it in for look see. My problem here is why,why is this happening? Apple is supposed be so good. But give me a break here, the 15" is not even six months old and to add insult to injury, Apple will not replace my 15" until I have three major problem's and because I had both the logic board and HD done at the same time, that is considered as one. Next insult is a warranty for $399. to extend my one year that I now have. What next?I like Apple and will continue to buy there products, but, please give us a break. The 15" is a 10.6.5/2.4 GHZ/4GB memory.

Reaction score
Because it is made by humans and humans have faults.... It happens but if you take it in and keep a cool attitude they will generally make it right. My MacBook has had two bottom cases and two top cases as well as a new screen. Apple did this without batting an eye.

I also recommend Applecare for your devices. It is an investment that is well worth it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple care on a MacBook Pro 15" model is $349.00 for a two year extension to the normal one year warranty.

Also, when you take it on in after the holidays, ask to see the store manager and inform him/her that you are unhappy with it and that you believe having to change out the logic board and hard drive on a fairly new machine indicates that it may be a lemon. Politely relate all this to the manager and state that you feel you should be given a new one to replace yours.

Let us know how everything turns out and good luck with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
I have three mac's a 13"/ 15"/ laptops and a 17' desk top. The 13 and the desk top have worked reasonably well, just a few problems. But the 15" lap was only three months old and I had to replace both logic board and Hard drive. Now I am getting the bbd way to often, especially when I am using preview. I think it's a processing problem. When the holiday's are over i will take it in for look see. My problem here is why,why is this happening? Apple is supposed be so good. But give me a break here, the 15" is not even six months old and to add insult to injury, Apple will not replace my 15" until I have three major problem's and because I had both the logic board and HD done at the same time, that is considered as one. Next insult is a warranty for $399. to extend my one year that I now have. What next?I like Apple and will continue to buy there products, but, please give us a break. The 15" is a 10.6.5/2.4 GHZ/4GB memory.
Electronics fail. This is a fact of life. As long as you're under warranty, they will take care of the problem. And as stated above, Applecare is an investment in your machine, not just a warranty.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You said when using Preview. Just preview or do other applications do that same thing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I'll just quote Nick from your other post http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/211036-logic-board-hard-drive-defective.html

Do you really think that every manufacturing process turns out 100% perfect products...no! Every manufacturing process has the occasional defect. In some rarer instances there may be two defects...and then in even MORE rare instances you may get three defects.

So someone could possibly (in a very very very rare instance) have a bad logic board, bad hard drive, bad display, and bad ram! It's all about statistics.

If Apples products were as bad as you say...do you really think folks would continue to buy them? An article was just posted here on Mac-Forums that Apple is #1 in the world in customer satisfaction!

So yes...sometimes products with defects get past Quality Control...because almost no company does a 100% inspection of everything they produce. Also consider the fact that:

- this laptop could have been exposed to some sort of abuse AFTER it was manufactured (say during shipping)
- you may have unknowingly abused the laptop in some way
- your laptop may have been exposed to a power spike...which may have "zapped" the logic board

Praise Apple for repairing your laptop hassle free!

- Nick

I'll then add to that, things happen, it's not a conspiracy, and the way you look at things and deal with problems effects the eventual outcome :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
This is all so true. My macbook pro 15" 2.4ghz 2009 early-mid 2009 model was a refurb. Who knows this thing could've been a lemon to begin with! But i've not had 1 ounce of trouble on it. Its all about making the best of it. Life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Just be polite about it all and do as Chscag recommended and you will get good results.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you all for the candid comments and council. As I said, I do like mac and will buy another, my post was basically a rant and maybe a chance to get a reason as to what is going on. Things do happen, I understand, and I deal with them without malice. As far as an extended warranty goe's, it's hard to put out the money and have nothing to show . Some recommend not getting one, take the chance and put the cash you save towards any further repairs. That was my original idea,but i may just break into my piggy bank and invest. Anyway , thanks for your ear. PS. The bbd was also happening when trying to close a program(not often) and once when scrolling.

Reaction score
Thank you all for the candid comments and council. As I said, I do like mac and will buy another, my post was basically a rant and maybe a chance to get a reason as to what is going on. Things do happen, I understand, and I deal with them without malice. As far as an extended warranty goe's, it's hard to put out the money and have nothing to show . Some recommend not getting one, take the chance and put the cash you save towards any further repairs. That was my original idea,but i may just break into my piggy bank and invest. Anyway , thanks for your ear. PS. The bbd was also happening when trying to close a program(not often) and once when scrolling.

The money is for peace of mind. My wife's MBA (first gen) has been rock solid for two years. She then goes to close it and CRACK, one of the hinges breaks. Gave Apple Care a call and it was repaired without fuss. Think of it as insurance because that is what it really is.

Also, you can buy it and if after two years you no longer want it you can cancel and get some of your money back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.