speeding up my mbp?

Reaction score
Bought my baby in September this year and I love it. Im just wondering what things/programs can i run to make sure it can run at its fullest. (heard something about scripts involving something called Onyx)
Any programs that cleans out my mac?

Also my current specs include:
Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Version 10.6.5

Is there anyway to add more ram to my current mbp??
if so which is the best ram to buy and how to install it? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
Yes, make sure you run Apple - Downloads - System/Disk Utilities - OnyX which will ensure your hard drive stats intact.

May I ask why you would want to upgrade the RAM? How much RAM do you currently use?
The best way to increase the speed of a system is to upgrade from the stock 5400rpm hard drive to a 7200 rpm hard drive.

OP
N
Reaction score
Yes, make sure you run Apple - Downloads - System/Disk Utilities - OnyX which will ensure your hard drive stats intact.

May I ask why you would want to upgrade the RAM? How much RAM do you currently use?
The best way to increase the speed of a system is to upgrade from the stock 5400rpm hard drive to a 7200 rpm hard drive.

where can i pick up one of those 7200 rpm drives?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

Oynx is a good .App but make sure you get the .V that is compatible to your OS. If you dont you cvan cause a lot more issues.

Or as i have MainMenu. This link is to the Free version, and works wonder. I liked it so much i bought the 2.2.1 version of it.
If you dl this once up and running configure batch tasks and uncheck Spotlight Reindexing and Remove .DS_Store file. Once unchecked Click Execute and sit back and wait.

I prefer MM over Oynx as i find it does a better job and is easier to use. Had too many people come here and say they used Oynx and somehow screwed up there system bc they didnt know what they wjhere doing ... MM is easy

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
where can i pick up one of those 7200 rpm drives?

go to OWC ~ MacSales ... Follow the prompts and put in your Mac Spec and OWC will then bring up al compatible RAM, HD or what ever your looking for. OWC test all there hardware as well so we know it will work ...

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes you can but you never answered why?

Why do you need more RAM? Anything over 4gb is overkill for 90% of users. How much RAM do you currently use? And why do you think you need more RAM?

OP
N
Reaction score
Golernp over

no real reason. i do run parrelles and photoshop and such but its just my mbp phase and wanting to have as much of a powerhouse 13" as i can lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well 8gb is the max. Honestly, even with parallels and PS running at the same time, 4gb should be fine. Why don't you open both and monitor your RAM usage. If you ever max your RAM out, you might want to upgrade, but if you run a 4gb and 2gb stick, you will lose dual channel compatibility, but that's not a huge deal.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks s2odin, i was wondering if you could maybe link me one of those rpm drives you would recommend the most. the price range can be anything reasonable.

OP
N
Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ive seen the reviews for both and seems like there are some issues with the XT. But again thanks alot for the help

Yep. I got the standard Momentus because of some of the issues. You can check my sig on how up upgrade and keep all your current data, instead of clean installing. Your choice on how you do it tho.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea, that's the regular one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.