New IPad, OSX, Windows, ???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook 1gb ram; 320gb hd iPhone 4s 16gb iPod Nano 16gb iPod Mini 6gb
My wife got an 64gb Ipad for Christmas and (I should have known) can't use it because she has an older version of OSX (10.4). She needs the newest version of Itunes, which she can't get download until she gets Snow Leopard. :Angry: We ordered it, but it won't be here until mid next week. In the mean time Mr. Grinch looms large in the house.

The Ironic thing is that she's very pro-Apple and can't use her new IPad with her MacBook; however she can use it with our 10-year old's $199 WalMart PC.

My question is: can she temporarily set it up on the PC, until her new OS software comes, or does that permanently format it for PC; or would there be any other negative ramifications from doing so?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Happy Holidays!

-Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
As long as the iPad is already registered, I would probably just wait so you only have to sync it with one library. It can be a pain to set up an iPad on one computer then move to another one.

And an iPad is an iPad is an iPad and it doesn't matter what OS you are running iTunes on. There is no "formatting" done to your iPad by iTunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
As long as the iPad is already registered, I would probably just wait so you only have to sync it with one library.

I agree with this. To save all hassles just wait the week until she has SL . .. . . . Less hassle then.

Or she could do it all on the $199 PC just so she can play with it, then when SL arrives use the PC to Restore to Factory settings and clean it up. Then connect it to the SL and away you go

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As long as the iPad is already registered, I would probably just wait so you only have to sync it with one library. It can be a pain to set up an iPad on one computer then move to another one.

And an iPad is an iPad is an iPad and it doesn't matter what OS you are running iTunes on. There is no "formatting" done to your iPad by iTunes.

First step on instructions says:
1. Download and install the latest version of iTunes on your Mac or PC from Apple - iTunes - Download iTunes Now.

Step two is to connect the iPad to your computer's USB port. Unless we're missing something, you can't do anything with it until you have SL. What's frustrating is that the bargain, introductory version of Windows 7 doesn't have a problem with the newest version of iTunes.

I wasn't sure about the "formatting issue". I remember having to choose windows or Mac formatting when initially setting up my iPod Mini, but don't recall that prompt on my new Nano. Maybe that doesn't happen anymore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20 inch dual core. 16 GB ipad.
I don' have snow leopard on my iMac but my iPad syncs ok with it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
... Unless we're missing something, you can't do anything with it until you have SL. What's frustrating is that the bargain, introductory version of Windows 7 doesn't have a problem with the newest version of iTunes.

It requires Leopard or Snow Leopard to run the latest version of iTunes in OS X.

Both of which have been out longer than Windows 7.

Snow Leopard is being advised for any Intel machine as it can be had for less than $30, new. You'll most likely not find Leopard for much less than $100, used.

Reaction score
You can get started now, no issues with Windows. When you move from any iTunes library to a new one, any media and programs will be changed to reflect the new library. Just make sure you use he same account on both and have the same media on them.

C

chas_m

I have to point out that the real problem here is that you (or her) put off upgrading the OS for YEARS and then tried to connect a bit of brand-new technology (that's very dependent on the latest version of iTunes) to it.

If it hadn't been the iPad it would have been a printer, scanner, high-end software or other device. Sorry, but Apple's not the one to blame here (it's also literally printed right on the box, btw).

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have to point out that the real problem here is that you (or her) put off upgrading the OS for YEARS and then tried to connect a bit of brand-new technology (that's very dependent on the latest version of iTunes) to it.

If it hadn't been the iPad it would have been a printer, scanner, high-end software or other device. Sorry, but Apple's not the one to blame here (it's also literally printed right on the box, btw).

Not blaming Apple, or defending our lack of continual OS upgrading (I went to SL last month to make my iPod Nano work -that's why I said I should have known) and I know the system requirements are listed on the Apple iPad page as well. My post was to find out if there would be any issues with setting the iPad up first on the PC and then moving it to her Macbook. I do however see some irony in the iPad needing 10.58 or later in OSX and working on a PC all the way back to XP w/SP3.

Her copy of SL should be here tomorrow and all should be well:D
Thanks everyone for the input!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.