MacBook Pro Internet help

Reaction score
I've recieved my first ever Mac today.
Unfortunately, I'm having some problems connecting to the Internet.

I want to connect to my home computer. It has an NTL cable modem and a Belkin wireless router. The Mac picks up the wireless network, but says "AirPort has the self-assigned IP address 169.254.230.112 and will not be able to connect to the Internet."

My other laptops in the house are able to connect to this network with no problems, I'm just not sure how to connect my Mac.

Sorry to sound very unexperienced, but to be honest, I'm not great at computers and not really sure what any of this means, or even what AirPort is.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Reaction score
So in simple terms Airport is your Mac's wireless system. There are many things that you can do to solve this kind of problem. First thing is go into System Preferences, click on Network, on the left hand side click on the wireless connection that you want, click Advanced, and then the Renew DCHP lease.
If this doesn't work try reseting your Belkin wireless router, if you could tell me what model router you have I could tell you how to do this. Please let me know the results and if you still need help I will give you a couple other options

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.