Handling my apple remote with the ATV and MacbookPro

Reaction score
How can I use my remote control with my MacbookPro and not affecting my ATV and viceversa if I'm in the same room?. What I mean is everytime I use the remote with my Macbook pro my ATV turns on, the same when I use it with my ATV.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi there Fam and welcome to the forums .......

What i have found the (easiest) for me to do is when using the remote on the ATV2 i put a little something over the IR Remote sensor on my MBP and happily use the ATV2.

It doesnt bother me doing the the other way as when im using the Remote for the MBP my ATV2 is on the HDMI channel that i chose to put it on and i can never see it being on. I have it on sleep after a Hr so im not worried about the power it uses.

Or the other solution is (if you have a iPhone or iPod Touch) is to get the Apple Remote.app from the iTunes Store and use this for the ATV2, which wont effect the MBP.

SO there are a cpl of solutions but if you dont want to see that tiny light on the ATV2 when you use the Remote with the MBP, best bet is to put something in the way of the Sensor or to hide it ......

Cheers

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks

I figured out the problem with the MBP, you just have to disable the infrared receptor in the security settings, and i found that if I don't point my remote in the direction of the ATV2 it doesn't turn on

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 400 MHz - iPad 2 16GB
You can pair the remote specifically to the device on the ATV2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 13 MacBook Pro, 11" MacBook Air, 64G iPad, iPhone 4
I have iMac, Macbook Pro and Apple TV in same room. As the remotes for the iMac and Macbook are "paired" to the devices the computers are not affected by the Apple TV remote.

PS. I use a Logitech programmable remote for the AV system and that controls Apple TV perfectly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.