Display Settings

Reaction score
(1) Most books about the Mac OS X suggest setting the display to the highest resolution. A lower resolution would show “things” larger, no? What are the disadvantages?

(2) If I do pick a lower resolution, how do I “apply it”? There is no “apply” (i.e., Ok) button.

(3) What is “Gather Windows”?

Thank you.

Dr. T.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The best resolution to set any Mac computer display is its native resolution. Your Mac should come with a user manual stating what the native resolution is. When shipped from the factory, your Mac will already be set to the native resolution.

Higher resolutions yield smaller fonts and icons which give an expanded desktop effect. However, if the higher resolution is not native, it can cause distortion or a fuzzy picture. Lower resolutions show larger fonts and larger icons but likewise can cause the same distortion.

The bottom line: It's best to leave your display at its native resolution.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.