iMac won't restore to original OS X

Reaction score
iMac 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 1067 MHz DDR3
320GB HDD

I'm currently running 10.5.8 installed from a retail version of Leopard.
I've tried to restore the computer to it's original state. It came with 2 gray discs, which is version 10.4.2. When I select "Install" it tells me that this version can not be installed on this computer. I've tried to boot from CD and do a clean install as well, but it wouldn't recognize the disc in the machine. It automatically booted from HDD. What am I doing wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
OP
N
Reaction score
It's funny that you mentioned it because I've been researching for the past couple of days and everything I found indicated that the computer should have been sold with Leopard not Tiger. I bought the computer in Future Shop brand new and the disc that came with it was 10.4.2. The problem I'm having is that I can't install windows xp in boot camp ( unfortunately I have no choice, I have to have windows for my accounting software) because my retail version of Leopard, which I bought doesn't have the required windows drivers. So how can I obtain the proper discs for my iMac then? Any suggestions? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
If you want the Original disks then best bet is to ring  give em the serial of the iMac and they will send you the Original disks ...... As harry said that iMac SHOULD have come with leopard, and being Leopard they will be pricey .....
And again as harry posted, best bet is to get Snow Leopard for the Cheap $29 and install that ...
But for the proper disks you need to ring Apple .... SL disks can be bought at any Authorised Reseller

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In short .. you been conned so go back and stir it up with a big stick. Sounds like someone has done the old switcheroo on you and not familiar with Future Shop - was it sold in brand new condition?

Go out and buy Snow Leopard you will not be disappointed and that runs BootCamp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
In short .. you been conned so go back and stir it up with a big stick. Sounds like someone has done the old switcheroo on you and not familiar with Future Shop - was it sold in brand new condition?

Was thinking that as well. If they are a Authorised Reseller then i would cantact Apple directly as well and report the Company too them and explain they tried to sell you (which they did) a Tiger OS install disks with a iMac that should have come with Leopard ...

@harry they said it was bought brand new

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And ask to speak to the store manager about your complaint advising you have aired your problems on a Mac forum and the store is getting a bad, smelly name!

OP
N
Reaction score
Solution=Snow Leopard. I should have spent that $30 on Snow Leopard at the beginning. It would have saved me some headache. I can't believe how simple it was. After repartitioning my hard drive, and having problems booting the computer up from the retail version of Leopard (long story.....)I installed Snow Leopard and everything works like a swiss clock. Windows XP installed without any glitch with all the required drivers.
Thanks Guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now update to OS X.6.5 using the Combo Updater and life will be sweet, until OS X.6.6 comes along in a month or two! And get on to the store that sold you the machine as you still need the Leopard original install discs to access Apple Hardware Test.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1324

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.