Major issues with Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I've had my Macbook Pro for just over a year now, and all of a sudden it seems to be one problem after another.

Here's a list of some of the issues:

1) "Error -50" when trying to save or download to the disk.

2) Sleep, Restart, and Shut Down functions time out. I have to power down manually.

3) Sometimes when launching an application from my dock, it will just hang there, bouncing up and down without ever opening.

4) Firefox browser reports this error, even when I am certain there is not a copy open, "A copy of Firefox if already open. Only one copy of Firefox can be open at a time".

5) When I insert a DVD it will just spin and spin, very loudly and never actually open.

So basically I'm limited to browsing in Safari at this point. Frustrating to say the least. Here's how I've tried to resolve these problems:

- Power down manually / Power up safe mode = once it reboots, everything works fine for a few minutes, then all the same problems arise.

- Repair disk in disk utility = report came back ok

- Re-install Mac OS X Install CD = functioned properly for a day, then back to old habits.

- Finally I took it to a certified Mac repair shop in my town. = After a few hours they called and said it was ready for pick up. When I asked what the problem was, they said some files were misplaced in the library. When I got home it still didn't work. All in all, four visits, $400, a brand new hard drive, and the darn thing still doesn't work!

I appreciate any advice that I can get. I'm at a total loss, and again it's a year-and-a-half Macbook Pro, so something is clearly not right. Thanks!!

- Cooper

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
- Re-install Mac OS X Install CD = functioned properly for a day, then back to old habits.
- Cooper

What did you do, from the time you reinstalled the OS, to the time you noticed the problem again? Did you install a "FRESH" OS, or did you back up from your old copy? Sounds like it might be a faulty program/app that you might be using, which can cause the system to hang. The "Error 50" is usually cause by a parameters issue with OSX.

Here's a big thread for error 50 support:
error 50 - Mac Support

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" Fall 2009 MacBookPro5,2 Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB RAM
How much space is left on hard drive?

Other shots in the dark.

When you said you had it worked on, you mean you took it to the Genius Bar at the Apple store or somewhere else?

Do you still have Apple Care? If so, maybe call them on a phone and ask. They might suggest resetting Pram or SMB, or (?) Something simple, although it does not sound like that kind of issue.

Have you ever changed anything on the notebook? Like put it new RAM or another hard drive?

Might the hard drive be an SSD?

Do you have a way to run Diagnostics on the notebook?

Scary story. Best wishes.

OP
C
Reaction score
Update

Thanks for the replies.

I decided to install a fresh OS, and erase all existing systems. I then upgraded to 10.6 Snow Leopard. Next I downloaded Firefox. Next thing I know, "error -50" again when saving to the disk.

I deleted Firefox, hoping that would somehow be the solution. Yet, I've still been having issues--slow on startup; now it seems to only boot from the install disk, and of course the lingering "error -50" when attempting to save.

So, now I've got a clean OS version, with a brand new HD, and no existing files or applications.

As for the authorized mac repair shop (Creative Computing - Making Your Computer Work for You!!), I must have made a total of five visits. They charged me for the first visit, and a new HD. As I said, the problems have never been resolved.

Would it do any good to have it sent in to Apple itself? My one-year warranty expired in September; but at this point I just want the darn thing fixed. My worry is that since there is a delay in the issues arising after system boot-up, that someone at Apple will think it's fixed, when it's not, and send it back. This is what happened with the repair shop in my town, where it would work for 15 minutes, but after an hour, the disk locks up.

I really appreciate the feedback. Keep it coming if anyone gets an idea. Thanks!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It's too bad it's out of Apple Care. I would still take it in and see what Apple says.

I would have told you to replace the hard drive but it sounds like that has already been done. Not sure what your issues are being caused by. You reinstalled also. Will get back to you if I can think of anything else.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Before doing anything else, swap out the memory modules in that machine but make sure you buy the memory somewhere that it can be returned.

I've seen bad and flakey memory do the same thing as your machine. If it turns out not to be the memory, that leaves the logic board. Swapping that out is almost the cost of a new machine. One good reason to always consider buying Apple care for a portable machine.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Excellent point chscag. Try that and get back to us.

To the OP, you are formatting it in a Mac format correct? Did some searching and some had that error when the drive was in a Windows format.. I don't think you can format the system drive as anything else, but just being sure in case. Otherwise not a lot of info on the net about that Error.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.