How to Disable McAfee on Windows 7?

Reaction score
I want to be able to use another Anti-Virus, though not necessarily uninstall McAfee altogether. Can someone tell me how to disable McAfee?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
Should just be able to right click and hit disable from the dock/toolbar.
Or double click on the icon on your dock and open it up and it should have a disable / turn off option.

Reaction score
Best to uninstall... Some anti-virus software can conflict with each other.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Absolutely agree with harry. Get rid of McAfee by using the uninstall procedure that's available in the Windows 7 "Programs" from Control Panel. Microsoft Security Essentials is free and actually does a better job than most commercial cost packages.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I 3rd Harry and chscag. McAfee was a pretty decent Antivirus program way back when, but of late I really don't like it. There still should be a way to disable it but you might be better off with MS Security Essentials! Norton and McAfee seem to take a lot of system resources compared to other free solutions.

OP
M
Reaction score
Alright thanks I uninstalled it completely.

Though I kinda disagree with the Microsoft Essentials thing being reliable. I doubt any free antivirus software is. I use Kaspersky for now. Not only has it kept me virus-free, but it's all cool looking and makes awesome high-tech sounds.

Reaction score
It actually isn't that bad but one has to wonder if they will continue to develop it or drop it likes they do so many of their products.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright thanks I uninstalled it completely.

Though I kinda disagree with the Microsoft Essentials thing being reliable. I doubt any free antivirus software is. I use Kaspersky for now. Not only has it kept me virus-free, but it's all cool looking and makes awesome high-tech sounds.

Yea, lots of free AV's are reliable.
AV-Comparatives - Independent Tests of Anti-Virus Software - Comparatives & Reviews

Avira is my AV of choice.
I run Avira with Comodo Firewall, Malwarebytes, and Superantispyware. Never got a virus on any of my computers.

Yes, Kaspersky is a highly rated paid AV, because it combines all of the above in one. But if you don't have money, free is the way to go.
And here's this: The best free security software
And here's for paid solution: Best Internet Security Suites 2011 Buyers Guide

But if you look at comparing the free and paid solutions, there are no real differences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
i use avast free antivirus and it works good and doesnt slow down the computer. it found things the first time that i scanned it that ms essentials and avg didnt find. and if i go to a website that trys to give it i a virus it usually blocks it. another program that i really like to run with avast is mal-ware bytes anti- mal-ware. it is also free and the only issue is the free version you have to manually update it and scan your computer. Those are my favorite.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i use avast free antivirus and it works good and doesnt slow down the computer. it found things the first time that i scanned it that ms essentials and avg didnt find.

This is more than likely a case of false positives. All AV's have a directory they search and somethings that could be considered harmful are are defined differently by each AV. Nonetheless, Avast is a very good AV.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.