Internet sharing from imac - can i use my wifi router?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 imac 21.5", 256mb radeon card, etc
I posted this one in the wrong sub-forum. It belongs here.

I live ~200 yards from my Mom's house. I set her up with a b/g/n router.

My Imac picks up the "n" signal just fine. My ps3, which only does b/g, gets no signal. I have an old linksys wrt54g wifi router. I tried plugging it into my imac and setting the imac to internet sharing through ethernet, but it didn't work. Stringing an ethernet cable isn't an option.

Am I missing a step in the system preferences for internet sharing? Is there another way to get internet to the ps3? I would rather not buy any new equipment, but I'd spend up to $50.

Thanks so much!

-Ezra

Reaction score
Well, first you are going about this the wrong way. If you have a router, you can put it in bridge mode and connect it to your mom's router then your PS3 should be able to connect to it. However, you are going to have a problem with distance on a b/g network as you are at the distant end. You might also consider a range extender (about 50/60 bucks) to see if you can get that distance.

Also, make sure that her router is setup 802.11n b/g compatible.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 imac 21.5", 256mb radeon card, etc
So you're saying that I shouldn't bother sharing the connection from the mac?

Yes, the router is b/g compatible... it worked like a charm with the ps3 when I lived with her.

But if her router can't reach my ps3, why would another router in bridge mode work?

Reaction score
i would like to figure this one out too. have been on it for 2 days still cannot get it to work.

i am using macbook that connects to my wifi and now i need to share the internet via ethernet to my linksys pap2 adapter.

quite desperately seeking solution as pap2 does not connect wirelessly

thanks in advance

Reaction score
Ugh, ok let me try to give you some options.

1. If your Mac can connect then simply plug your Mac to your PS3 (no router) and start internet sharing. That should work.

2. If you have another router see if you can get it close enough to get a connection to the other router in your mom's house and then connect (wirelessly) your PS3.

3. Get a range extender and try to get close enough to get a connection to your mom's router and then connect the PS3 to it wirelessly.

Basically you have a few options available and it all of this fails then your only option is to get your own connectivity.

Reaction score
pap2 with network sharing mav

prasmalla,

Did you ever get yours working?

Talking about the pap2 using network sharing from your mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
After four years probably did!

And if anything like my run on routers, replaced twice in the interim.

Reaction score
I am in need of the same thing and can't make it work. I have tried all kinds of options and nothing.

I am connecting through a VPN tunnel to my workplace and trying to connect to an asterisk server.

What a PITA. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.