My Dilema

Reaction score
Morning everyone

SO I plan on picking up an IMac tomorrow. (Here in Canada we have what we call Boxing day on Dec 26th. Its kinda like Black Friday in the United States, lots of sales).

I had originally planned to pick up the IMac from the Apple Store and get the one on one plan. (Both to have them switch things over as well as learn a few things...both at the time I pick it up, and over the next 12 months as well)

However Best Buy is having a Boxing Day sale. The flyer tells me I will be able to get a IMac with 8G of Ram for $150 less than the 4G version in the Apple Store. (Apple Stores in Canada traditionally don't have boxing day sales)....and yes I have triple checked everything else is equal.

If I get the product from Bestbuy I won't be able to buy the One on One time.

So my question is what would you do. Other than Ipod's I dont know much about Apple products...but I am usually a quick learner. Do you think I'll have a lot of headaches doing the switch over? Do you think what I'll learn in One on One time is so valuable its worth paying MORE for a 4G instead of an 8G.

As a small aside my closest Best Buy is 15 mins away. The closest Apple Store is 90 mins away. A small factor into my decision.

Appreciate the help everyone
Cheers

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
From what I've read here, the One on One training is pretty hit or miss. Some people seem to like it, but it is more project focused from what I understand. If you're already pretty computer savvy, there's a lot of good books and info online, most namely this site:

Apple - Support - Switch 101

But I think one of the most valuable things the Apple Store can offer switchers is to transfer all of your docs, data and libraries over to your Mac from your PC for free. That can be tricky to do yourself because you'll either need to network your Mac and your PC together to do the transfer, or offload the data onto an external hard drive and bring it over a piece at a time. So, depending on how much time and effort you want to expend with a new machine, that service might be worth the difference in price.

Besides that, the buying experience at an Apple Store is really second to none, particularly if you set up a "Personal Shopper Appointment" online ahead of time.

The memory difference wouldn't really be a biggy for me. Memory is pretty inexpensive (particularly when you buy aftermarket) and it's a simple enough DIY upgrade, should you need it.

Hope this helps and Merry Christmas.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.