G5 Mac Pro OSX install

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a question, I got an old G5 Mac Pro, the guy who gave it to me did so without a hard drive, He gave me a dmg image of the disk that came with it. The problem is that I dont have another mac to burn the disk or mount the image. I have a portable hard drive I could use to install but how to I get the OS to install on the new hard drive I put in the mac without the disk. I also have DL DVD but I cant find a program that will burn it on pc. :(

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi guys, I have a question, I got an old G5 Mac Pro,

No you don't...it's either a G5 OR a Mac Pro...it cannot be both. G5's have a PPC cpu...and Mac Pro's have an Intel cpu...BIG difference. G5's with a PPC cpu cannot install the latest Mac OS...10.6 Snow Leopard...but the Mac Pro with an Intel cpu can.

the guy who gave it to me did so without a hard drive, He gave me a dmg image of the disk that came with it. The problem is that I dont have another mac to burn the disk or mount the image. I have a portable hard drive I could use to install but how to I get the OS to install on the new hard drive I put in the mac without the disk. I also have DL DVD but I cant find a program that will burn it on pc. :(
A .dmg image is NOT a legal way to install the OS on a Macintosh computer. You NEED to purchase your own OS install disk.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
He said that it was an image of the disk that came with it, he just didn't want to keep the cd around. And it is an all aluminum desktop mac (not iMac) with duel G5 processors inside it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
He said that it was an image of the disk that came with it, he just didn't want to keep the cd around. And it is an all aluminum desktop mac (not iMac) with duel G5 processors inside it.

If this computer has dual G5 processors...then it's a Powermac G5...NOT a Mac Pro.

The maximum OS for Powermac G5's is OS 10.5.8 "Leopard". Like I mentioned before...a .dmg file is not a legal way of installing the OS onto a Macintosh computer. You either need:

- to get the original disks from the person you got the computer from
- buy some install disc/discs on e-Bay
- call Apple at their "800" number & request a set of replacement discs (there is a charge)

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Be very cautious about computers that arrive without hard drives. Put a second hand SATA drive in and see if it will actually boot up at all. Dual Core G5 2.5GHz machines had big troubles with coolant leaks, as they were liquid cooled, and many G5's had power supply problems.

He has pulled your whatsit with that story about the .dmg file rather than the install DVD alas.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.