Is there a way to transfer iPhone contacts to sim without jailbreaking?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Is there any way to transfer iPhone contacts to sim without jailbreaking?

This has me stumped, as to why on earth Apple has not given us this option.
Surely it must be possible.

If I do have to jailbreak my phone to be able to do this (which I really would prefer not to), is there a foolproof, fail-safe and reversible method to go about it?

Also, if I have to Jailbreak it, what do I do next, or install next, and how, in order to do what I originally asked?

"iPhone contacts to sim" :D

OP
6string
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I'm guess the lack of response is a big fat NO :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
LOL mate you have a way with starting a thread and then having no-one reply lol

But i did a lot of searching last night and came up with a few things but looks like ATM unless its JB then your out of luck :(
Lots on sim to phone but not the other ways around ....
All i have found is ways to if your JB

OP
6string
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL mate you have a way with starting a thread and then having no-one reply lol

Hehe ... yeah, what's with that? :D

I spent hours googling and found nothing.
It transfers contacts from the SIM to the phone, but doesn't go the other way.

I don't want to jailbreak it, as I'm afraid of bricking it.
If I were to brick it that would void my warranty if I couldn't reverse what I did.
It is really frustrating me, as if something goes wrong with the phone, and I have to get it repaired, then putting my SIM in my spare phone will leave me without all the contacts that I have added to the phone.

This is a really big flaw.
The only reason I can see that Apple would do this (allow SIM to phone but not phone to SIM transfer) is to keep you buying iPhones.

ARGGGGHHHH

I really hope that this is rectified eventually in an OS update, or that someone comes up with an app that I can add without jailbreaking to do this.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This is a really big flaw.
The only reason I can see that Apple would do this (allow SIM to phone but not phone to SIM transfer) is to keep you buying iPhones.

Apparently true. Every other cell phone I've owned (including those from AT&T here in the US) allow contacts to be copied to the SIM card. I go through phones fairly fast and if I didn't have a way to maintain my contacts on the SIM card it would be a royal pain having to enter them again.

As far as jail breaking the phone goes, there's very little risk of bricking it. But I would be less than honest if I said there was no risk at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
This might be a long shot but... Have you tried contacting a rep at your local Apple store and asking if they can do it with their magical software ?

Doug

OP
6string
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apparently true. Every other cell phone I've owned (including those from AT&T here in the US) allow contacts to be copied to the SIM card. I go through phones fairly fast and if I didn't have a way to maintain my contacts on the SIM card it would be a royal pain having to enter them again.

Royal Pain indeed!
In order to add contacts from my iPhone, I have to keep notes of all the new contacts that I have added, right them down, put my SIM in my spare phone to be able to write to it, and then put it back in my iPhone and transfer back from the SIM to the iPhone

As far as jail breaking the phone goes, there's very little risk of bricking it. But I would be less than honest if I said there was no risk at all.

It is that little risk that I am afraid with taking a gamble on possibly bricking a phone that still retails here for around AU$1000.

This might be a long shot but... Have you tried contacting a rep at your local Apple store and asking if they can do it with their magical software ?

Doug

I've thought about it, and this is my next step, but I wouldn't hold my breath for a positive outcome in this situation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

Doug

Can also be done through the Carrier you are signed up to ...
And its a OK solution if you do it once with a multitude of contacts, but if your a busy social butterfly and add contacts to the phone every other day, it would painful to keep on going back to them to do the phone to sim thing .....

Would see them thinking your abusing the *system* and they will probably start to charge you after the 2nd visit :(

OP
6string
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And its a OK solution if you do it once with a multitude of contacts, but if your a busy social butterfly and add contacts to the phone every other day, it would painful to keep on going back to them to do the phone to sim thing .....

Would see them thinking your abusing the *system* and they will probably start to charge you after the 2nd visit :([/QUOTE

At first I thought this is what Doug B meant, and I had the same thought, but I think that he meant that maybe they could put a software on it without jailbreaking it, or perhaps jailbreaking it, putting on the software, and then unjailbreaking it again, or something like that. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Would see them thinking your abusing the *system* and they will probably start to charge you after the 2nd visit :(

At first I thought this is what Doug B meant, and I had the same thought, but I think that he meant that maybe they could put a software on it without jailbreaking it, or perhaps jailbreaking it, putting on the software, and then unjailbreaking it again, or something like that. :D

LOL i see what your aiming at there :D

I only mentioned the carrier as just before xmas i went in with the ex to help (im the  man in her life) her buy a iPhone 3gs and all in one go they removed all the contacts from her old phone put them on the 3gs and then onto her sim . . . .All in 5 mins. Worth it to ask . . . She was Optus, though that shouldnt make any difference

OP
6string
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL i see what your aiming at there :D

I only mentioned the carrier as just before xmas i went in with the ex to help (im the  man in her life) her buy a iPhone 3gs and all in one go they removed all the contacts from her old phone put them on the 3gs and then onto her sim . . . .All in 5 mins. Worth it to ask . . . She was Optus, though that shouldnt make any difference

I'm glad you understood what I was saying, because reading it back I was having a really hard time with it. lol

So they can put them on the SIM.... hmmm, if they couldn't give me a way to do it myself, it would mean a weekly trip to Apple to have them do this for me :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm glad you understood what I was saying, because reading it back I was having a really hard time with it. lol

Only said that to make you feel good about yourself ;P

So they can put them on the SIM.... hmmm, if they couldn't give me a way to do it myself, it would mean a weekly trip to Apple to have them do this for me :D

Yea pretty sure they can ....... ^^ Hence the Social Butterfly and being painful comment ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Yeah, no... (See, I'm already contradicting myself ! ) I did mean that either Apple or the Carrier could use whatever special software which only they're privy to, in order to do the transfer, no jailbreak required. I'm certain they have the ability to do this. A real PITA but if you need it to be done, what can ya do, eh ?

Doug

OP
6string
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unless something changes in a software update, or a solution comes to light here, I think I'll be going back to Nokia once this phone has done it's dash.
In fact, I'm even considering selling it now.
Just got it (refurb from Apple) replacing my old one which died.
Anyone in Oz after an unlocked 32GB white back iPhone with 1year AppleCare? Lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anyone in Oz after an unlocked 32GB white back iPhone with 1year AppleCare? Lol

Kick it to me, Kick it to me, LOL

Im actually in the market (was before xmas and lose of job) :(

But i honestly want a iP4 with the FaceTime so i can FT my little boy when he is at his mums, otherwise i would PM you about it . . . . . If the job pans out on the 4th ill give ya a call about it and see what sort of deal you got going lol

EDIT : Could be good actually bc they still have the old sim and not the micro dont they ??

Then ill have no need to talk to the Telco's here

OP
6string
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kick it to me, Kick it to me, LOL

Im actually in the market (was before xmas and lose of job) :(

But i honestly want a iP4 with the FaceTime so i can FT my little boy when he is at his mums, otherwise i would PM you about it . . . . . If the job pans out on the 4th ill give ya a call about it and see what sort of deal you got going lol

EDIT : Could be good actually bc they still have the old sim and not the micro dont they ??

Then ill have no need to talk to the Telco's here

I wanted an iP4 until this SIM sitch started getting to me. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz i7 (2013) | 15"MacBook Pro 2.6GHz (2018) both OS 10.14.1 | iPhone 6 OS 12.1
ive been using i sync to transfer my contact list between my mac iphone & a sony ericsson..works well ;)
once you have isync transfer it to whichever other phone...just copy to sim

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.