Help need for Video Conferenceing

Reaction score
Please help someone: We have a .mac account and are trying to conference with a PC using AOL IM. But with no luck. My internet connection speed is 1.5mb/256 and I am speaking to someone with a better speed. We are able to IM but no audio or video available. I am sure somone must have sorted this out. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
avroncotton said:
Please help someone: We have a .mac account and are trying to conference with a PC using AOL IM. But with no luck. My internet connection speed is 1.5mb/256 and I am speaking to someone with a better speed. We are able to IM but no audio or video available. I am sure somone must have sorted this out. Thanks

If either of you are using a firewall or a router, you will need to open the appropriate TCP/UDP port to allow audio & video. I don't know them off hand, but the respective port numbers should be available by Googling, or on AOL's IM website.

OP
A
Reaction score
IanCT said:
If either of you are using a firewall or a router, you will need to open the appropriate TCP/UDP port to allow audio & video. I don't know them off hand, but the respective port numbers should be available by Googling, or on AOL's IM website.

Thanks but could you explain; I know what a firewall is (although I dont know how to see if it's on!) but what is a router?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.