iMac lack of tilde key

Reaction score
Hi all..

I purchased an iMac when I was in Japan a few years back and have been wondering where my tilde key had got to.

My keyboard is set up as the Apple Extended USB Keyboard, so I just ignore the japanese keys and type as if it were a regular keyboard and this works fine for most things.

I've looked at the character viewer and see it there, and i've seen that in keyboard viewer if I hold Shift + Alt + n I can type the character but there are a number of things I run where this will not work. I would like to be able to map this to another key but can't see how I could do this. I have a key between delete key and the = key that is blank and want to map it here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just press option + n, then the letter.

A tilde will be placed over the next letter you type. This works for A,O,N,a,o,n.

Ã Õ Ñ ã õ ñ

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply bobtomay,

I need it as a seperate key, not to put an accent on other letters.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Hit the Option+N that Bobtomay said then hit the spacebar and the next character will be a separate letter or whatever.

OP
O
Reaction score
I need to be able to press ctrl+shift+˜ to open a console within a game. I've tried both of these to no avail.

I found a program called Ukelele which lets me rebind keys, it works when i'm typing usually but not within this game.

*ponders* Is tricky.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I wonder if you could do something in the keyboard preferences under the Keyboard Shortcuts tab and make a custom shortcut? Never tried what you need but worth a look anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.