Migration Assistant Question

Reaction score
In MA, can you pick and choose what you want to move to the new computer?
Secondly, does it moves applications like Photoshop, Final Cut, etc... those are expensive apps and I can't imagine the migration would work without installing them on the new computer?
I am more concerned about the $20-$50 apps that I have like DVDxCopy, Xtorrent Pro, etc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Are you basically wanting to copy your whole HDD across to a new computer? If so I would recommend getting HDD cloning software.

- Simon

OP
J
Reaction score
well, to be honest, i don't feel like my current macbook is very well organized... i feel like stuff is scattered all over it and i'd like some sort of control to see what i am moving over to the new one rather than just cloning the HDD... i have cloned it with carbon copy cloner (though i have done it 3 times and have had some sort of error everytime), but i just thought MA might be a better option

C

chas_m

In MA, can you pick and choose what you want to move to the new computer?

Not really, no.

Secondly, does it moves applications like Photoshop, Final Cut, etc... those are expensive apps and I can't imagine the migration would work without installing them on the new computer?

Sometimes those high-end apps (most notably Adobe and Quark, never had a problem with Apple Pro apps myself) are picky enough that they want to be re-installed -- but since you certainly haven't stolen those programs, what's the big deal? Just re-install them from your discs.

I am more concerned about the $20-$50 apps that I have like DVDxCopy, Xtorrent Pro, etc

They copy over just fine IME.

OP
J
Reaction score
just going to reinstall Adobe stuff... everything else seems to be fine...
i have moved all the apps, and am moving itunes as i type...
also moved all my documents... what else do i need to move?
i realize MA could have done this for me but i really have liked doing it one thing at a time to just make sure i "know my mac" but now i am a bit nervous i am going to miss something and then reformat it to sell and kick myself for the loss...
is there a list of "things to make sure you move to your new mac" anywhere?
i had photos in folders on my desktop... i got those, but i guess i need to make sure i don't have iphotos files... doing that now... what else guys?
thanks
jared

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
IMO dont stress about what you havnt got. As you go on about your daily business if you find you havnt got something on the new Mac, just hook up the Ext HDD and click and drag what you need .......

Love OS X

OP
J
Reaction score
every time i have ran carbon copy cloner there has been some sort of error... this makes me nervous, but at this point, its time to reformat this bad boy and say goodbye...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.