MBP optic drive firmware update?

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

My '06 Macbook Pro has been a most reliable workinghorse and I do expect it to run for some time yet –*however, the optic drive is start to show some wear and tear, possibly due to me having used it pretty much for listening to music (that is, wearing it out more than would be ideal).

In fact, it has always rejected a couple music CDs (it seems those a bit thicker), but now it also starts rejecting data DVDs and this concerns me more.

Before opting to replace the optic drive, there's some firmware available? I sought a bit on apple.com but didn't find a precise optic drive firmware update, and otherwise the machine works wonderfully so I don't want to do unnecessary installations.

OSX 10.4.11
HL-DT-ST DVDRW GWA4080M, Firmware Revision AA26

Thanks in advance for any suggestions & pleasant holidays,
Tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
No, there's no firmware available for the drives.

OP
T
Reaction score
OK, thanks for the prompt reply.

I'll have to see about replacing the optic drive then... if it gets worse.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Before you opt to replace it, I suggest you get a lens cleaner. Dust will accumulate on the lens A lens cleaner will help in removing this and quite often all that is really needed.

Just one option from Amazon - link.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I mean no disrespect Tom, but I think those things are complete bunk. I've seen the little brushes they use pop off and become lodged in the drive.

A few quick blasts of compressed air into the drive should remove most dust build up. Cleaners like these play upon the memories those of us used to have of cleaning our magnetic media devices like cassette tape players and VCRs, which used to make physical contact with the media they played.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Compressed air is what I use also.

Maybe it's the youngster techs influencing me. ;P

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Only thought I would add...slot loading optical drives (MacBooks, MacBook Pros, iMacs, Mac-mini's)...certainly are harder to clean than tray-loading drives.

When you blast them with compressed air...where the heck does the dust or "dust bunnies" go...since the only opening (the slot) has that "fuzzy" material covering it. So the "dust bunnies" aren't gotten rid of...they're probably blown into a "nook" or void inside the drive.

As far as lens cleaners. These (I think) have a better chance of working on a tray-loading optical drive (because they fit into the drive better)...do they even make these for slot-loading drives?

I'm not really "knocking" either method...they're the same ideas I would recommend or use myself. Just mentioning that each method may have it's downside.

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
When you blast them with compressed air...where the heck does the dust or "dust bunnies" go...since the only opening (the slot) has that "fuzzy" material covering it. So the "dust bunnies" aren't gotten rid of...they're probably blown into a "nook" or void inside the drive.

Doesn't matter where it goes, just so long as it isn't on the lens. Dust anywhere else isn't going to effect operation.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Doesn't matter where it goes, just so long as it isn't on the lens. Dust anywhere else isn't going to effect operation.

Yeah...you're right...I'm just visualizing a big pile of tiny "dust bunnies" in one of the corners of the drive!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.