screen saver question

Reaction score
I have set up the screen saver to use various landscape panoramas in a particular file and to zoom in and out. This is on a newish MacBook Pro running 10.5.8. Everything works fine, except that roughly every third image that is displayed is not an image but what looks like some sort of text (three lines each of perhaps four languages or messages) and this meanders around the screen likes some of the simpler screen savers of yore. And the type is so small and so indistinct that it cannot be read. I have tried changing the resolution and taking photographs and it is not legible.

Since there is not a single text file in that folder, this must be something being introduced by the OS (or another program)

Any thoughts as to what it is and how to get rid of it?

Regards

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not using Leopard so I don't know exactly which screen saver is randomly showing up. However, there are several screen saver options which display only writing: "Name of Computer", "Word of the Day".

Go to System Preferences, Desktop & Screensaver, and see if you can find anything there. If you don't want those to show up, either do not choose the random mode or you can do a Spotlight search and delete them.

OP
P
Reaction score
I was not using any of those options. I had had the screen saver set to random then changed it so it would display the photographs in a specific folder. So random is not checked in the main dialogue; I do have random checked under options (as in present photographs in random order).

Where are the files for the screen saver kept? Perhaps there is something unusual there. And what would I search for using Searchlight?

TIA

P.S. In case it is not obvious, this is not one of the listed screen savers.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

P.S. In case it is not obvious, this is not one of the listed screen savers.

If you're using some 3rd party screen saver, the place to start is with their support or emailing the developer.

You're putting anyone here attempting to help in a pure guessing game if you're not using the system settings that are standard without tellng us what you're using.

OP
P
Reaction score
I am using the standard screen saver; the random message does not look like any of the listed screen savers in behavior or text. If there is a way to post a screen shot in this forum, I am happy to do that.

To be very specific, I have selected a folder called "Shots" by using the "Select Folder" option; it now is listed under the heading of "Pictures" . That folder has 10 jpg pictures and no other files.

Actually, I thought I had found the problem: using Windows Explorer, I went into that folder and discovered a file called "DS_store" which I now discover was created by the OS. I deleted the file but I suspect that it will be recreated as soon as the screen saver launches again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.