What Imac should i get out of these 2

Reaction score
Hi i am new to apple macs coming from a pc.

I have 2 macs i can choose from but not sure which to pick.

Here are the specs.

model name: imac
model identifier: imac9,1
processor name: intel core 2 duo
processor speed: 2 ghz
number of processors: 1
total number of cores: 2
L2 cache: 3 mb
memory: 2gb ddr3
bus speed: 1.07 ghz
HARD DISC SIZE: 160 gb

OR

model name: imac
model identifier: imac7,1
processor name: intel core 2 duo
processor speed: 2.4 ghz
number of processors: 1
total number of cores: 2
L2 cache: 4 mb
memory: 2gb ddr2
bus speed: 800 mhz
HARD DISC SIZE: 320 gb

Please tell me which one is best to get.
I would like to up the ram memory to the max, what would that be?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
Well what are the prices on the two and what will you be doing with the machine?

That will help us suggest one to suit your needs a little better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day mr dubs and seasons greetings to you.

Go for the 9.1 with faster memory and system bus speed but something does not ring true as 9.1 models come in 2.66, 2.93 and 3.06GHz speeds only.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
G'day mr dubs and seasons greetings to you.

Go for the 9.1 with faster memory and system bus speed but something does not ring true as 9.1 models come in 2.66, 2.93 and 3.06GHz speeds only.

Actually, the 9.1 did come with a 2.0ghz at one point.

With that said. I would have an extremely hard time getting outdated ram. There are things you can do to work around a slower processor, but you can't do much with slower ram speed.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi all,

thanks for your replys.

First of all I will be using one of these machines for editing photos mainly
aswell as surfing the net.

as I said I am very new to macs so really haven't a clue.

got one person saying go for the 9,1 and another saying it will be hard to get
ram for that processor is that right?

Still not sure. lol

thanks again and merry Xmas to u all!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, the 9.1 did come with a 2.0ghz at one point.

With that said. I would have an extremely hard time getting outdated ram. There are things you can do to work around a slower processor, but you can't do much with slower ram speed.

Faster RAM only accounts for a 7-10% increase, at most, over slower, older RAM. 90% of users won't be able to tell the difference between DDR3 1066 and DDR3 1333, heck even DDR2 800 and DDR3 1066. I know I certainly don't see a difference.

OP
M
Reaction score
great info guys thanks.

so which one shall I get?

both going for the same price of £550 GBP

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would get the first one, just as it is newer.
The 400 mhz in speed isn't going to be a huge difference in speed if all you're doing is the basics. Plus, it uses a P series processor as opposed to T which means it only pulls 25w of power as opposed to 35w so it just means your machine will run cooler.

As far as RAM goes, the max is 4GB.
Check OWC or Newegg for the RAM. Make sure you are getting 204-pin DDR3 PC-8500 (1066mhz) laptop RAM.

Installing iMac Intel 20" EMC 2133 and 2210 RAM - iFixit There's the guide on how to do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Sorry, the 667mhz DDR2 memory that the 7.1iMac came with is a BIG difference from the 1066mhz DDR3 on the 9.1. Also, even a performance gain percentage of only a 2% jump from ddr2 to ddr3, is still considered an impressive gain...when comparing them.

Then there is the bus speed difference. All of which are, in my opinion, more important than gaining .4ghz of processor speed.

You should see noticeably faster load times, as well as better response with programs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, the 667mhz DDR2 memory that the 7.1iMac came with is a BIG difference from the 1066mhz DDR3 on the 9.1. Also, even a performance gain percentage of only a 2% jump from ddr2 to ddr3, is still considered an impressive gain...when comparing them.

Then there is the bus speed difference. All of which are, in my opinion, more important than gaining .4ghz of processor speed.

You should see noticeably faster load times, as well as better response with programs

Sorry, but I don't see a difference between DDR2 800 and DDR3 1066. It's not a noticeable difference and I still do the exact same thing I did on my old PC.

And a faster FSB? Doesn't equate to big gains.

Faster load times are HD related, not RAM or FSB related.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Sorry, but I don't see a difference between DDR2 800 and DDR3 1066. It's not a noticeable difference and I still do the exact same thing I did on my old PC.

And a faster FSB? Doesn't equate to big gains.

Faster load times are HD related, not RAM or FSB related.

Where are you getting DDR2 800 from? The imac7.1 has DDR2 667. The imac9.1 had DDR3 1066. The 800 referenced in the 7.1 is for the bus speed, not ram speed!

Also, a higher bus speed allows all the inside connections of a computer to work at a faster speed, meaning faster access to ram, hdd, and the motherboard...which equals faster performance. Faster fsb DOES equate to big gains, even if only going from 800mhz to 1.07ghz! What you are saying is almost complete opposite from the truth!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Where are you getting DDR2 800 from? The imac7.1 has DDR2 667. The imac9.1 had DDR3 1066. The 800 referenced in the 7.1 is for the bus speed, not ram speed!

Also, a higher bus speed allows all the inside connections of a computer to work at a faster speed, meaning faster access to ram, hdd, and the motherboard...which equals faster performance. Faster fsb DOES equate to big gains, even if only going from 800mhz to 1.07ghz! What you are saying is almost complete opposite from the truth!

800 mhz is from my old laptop, as a reference.

And FSB is what carries data from RAM to the northrbidge. The HD is not a part of the northbridge so please stop trying to act all high and might when you have no idea what you're talking about. And a FSB increase of that much won't lead to huge gains....
I know what I'm talking about, and have experienced this in real life as well...

OP
M
Reaction score
so what shall it be. I was thinking the newer one Just because it's newer so must be better. I might just close my eyes spin around then grab one. prob the easiest way. lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so what shall it be. I was thinking the newer one Just because it's newer so must be better. I might just close my eyes spin around then grab one. prob the easiest way. lol

Yea, newest is the general consensus

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
800 mhz is from my old laptop, as a reference.
Why reference something that has nothing to do with the OP's problem?

And FSB is what carries data from RAM to the northrbidge. The HD is not a part of the northbridge so please stop trying to act all high and might when you have no idea what you're talking about.
I know what I'm talking about, and have experienced this in real life as well...

Before calling someone out, maybe you should READ carefully, and realize what is being SAID! Where did I reference FSB anywhere in here:
Also, a higher bus speed allows all the inside connections of a computer to work at a faster speed, meaning faster access to ram, hdd, and the motherboard...which equals faster performance.
I'm talking about bus speed in general, which should have been pretty easy to pick us on, since I referenced no particular bus location, and listed all the noteworthy connections.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why reference something that has nothing to do with the OP's problem?

Before calling someone out, maybe you should READ carefully, and realize what is being SAID! Where did I reference FSB anywhere in here:

I'm talking about bus speed in general, which should have been pretty easy to pick us on, since I referenced no particular bus location, and listed all the noteworthy connections.

Understanding System Memory and CPU Speeds - A layman's guide to the Front Side Bus (FSB)-Best Computer Online Store Houston Buy Discount Prices Texas-Directron.com
Nuff said. Nothing about hard drives in there, therefore you are wrong sir. A fast bus speed in general does not lead to faster app openings.

Good day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Did you seriously just reference an article that was last edited in 2007? You do realize that there are more than just 3 buses, right? Why on earth would you reference such a garbage article, that is way outdated? It's talking about a pentium 2/4's clock speeds!!!
Though, I will pull out a quote from it-
The Front Side Bus is the most important bus to consider when you are talking about the performance of a computer. The FSB connects the processor (CPU) in your computer to the system memory. The faster the FSB is, the faster you can get data to your processor. The faster you get data to the processor, the faster your processor can do work on it.

Like I said before, going from 667 to 1066 is a huge leap...one that you shouldn't even be arguing over unless the price of the 1066 was huge factor like in the old days.

Quick question...should resolve things asap. What bus is the sata/IDE drive connection connected to? Trick? Should be real simple if you claim to know as much as you do.

Anyways, seems like we both gave advice to go with the newer system. This need not go on any further!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quick question...should resolve things asap. What bus is the sata/IDE drive connection connected to? Trick? Should be real simple if you claim to know as much as you do.

SATA is a bus. Hence why a faster hard drive leads to opening apps faster as it goes directly to the mobo.

And computers get bogged down by their slowest component, which is usually the?....... Hard drive........ just saying.

OP
M
Reaction score
is this ram ok for the imac9,1 which i will be going for.

What is the best price to bid up to, whats it worth. i need ram from the uk.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.