VMfusion with Xp lost all icons

Reaction score
I have an iMac with 2g of ram and plenty of HD running sno leopard and all updates.

Today it had become apparent that backups were not happening
Xp running in VM fusion rebooted without any icons after using a piece of PC software for tidying up registry etc .

How can I get the icons back? or get behind windows to retrieve the critical data..
ATM I have an empty Xp desktop
j

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We need to know exactly what it was that you "cleaned up" in the Registry and which program you used to do it.

Registry cleaners are dangerous and should not be used without first making a backup of your Windows XP installation.

Did you make a backup of OS X using Time Machine? If you did, just restore the following Fusion VM file: "Documents, Virtual Machines, Windows XP Home Edition.vmwarevm"

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
Program is PC tools

I dont think I cleaned up the registry..I am not on the same mac at the moment.
Ill be back in the office maybe tomorrow. Yes I have a time machine back up .
thanks again

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, thanks for posting back. I haven't used PC Tools in ages so I don't remember exactly what it does to the registry, if anything.

However, since you have a Time Machine backup, just go ahead and restore from that. Let us know and have a Merry Christmas.

OP
J
Reaction score
OK, thanks for posting back. I haven't used PC Tools in ages so I don't remember exactly what it does to the registry, if anything.

However, since you have a Time Machine backup, just go ahead and restore from that. Let us know and have a Merry Christmas.

Houston I think we have a small problem..

Time machine is only showing mac desktop files and I cant find the path you suggest although when I check the external backup HD the incremental backups are showing.
If I enter "vmwarevm" search on the HD I can find Windows XP Professional vmwarevm.
How do I restore this from the HD ?

John

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you can locate the file "Windows XP Professional vmwarevm", that means you can restore it. Do this:

Display your latest TM backup. Locate that file. Open a Finder window and again locate the same file. Now drag the TM backed up file to the Documents, Virtual Machines folder and drop it. It will ask you if you wish to replace the current file with the backed up one. Just respond yes.

You should be good to go.

OP
J
Reaction score
Ive just got back from Lunch and VM is asking me to make sure I have the correct " admin priveleges" or some such so I restarted and I have been in an endless restart loop.

Eventually I pulled the plug and tried restarting from disk warrior but even DW will not boot but goes back to a restart loop showing the apple Logo .
trying to get the DW Cd to eject

OP
J
Reaction score
Cant stop Mac from trying ( and failing ) to boot from DW so I have disconnected from mains power to see if it will reset itself..

failing that.....:Shouting:

OP
J
Reaction score
And later,,CD ejected but still in an (apparent) endless loop of restarting. I will disconnect from power source and wait for 30 mins to see if that has any effect. If I unplug for a couple of minutes, when I re-power the mac goes straight into restart as if there was no interruption

J

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.