Connecting a Macbook Pro to a HDMI TV using: minidisplay port to HDMI adapter vs DVI

Reaction score
I have seen two different ways to connect a Macbook Pro to a HDMI TV. The first way is to use a minidisplay port to HDMI adapter such as this For only $6.30 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter | Mini DisplayPort to HDMI / DVI / VGA Adapters and just get a wire that has hdmi ports on both sides such as this For only $17.57 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 20ft 22AWG CL2 High Speed HDMI Cable - Black | Professional 22AWG HDMI High Speed Certified Male to Male Cables

I have also seen it done with the configuration in this video: YouTube - Connect New Macbook To TV With Sound , with a mini dvi adapter connected to a dvi - hdmi cable.

What is the difference with these two configurations, and which one is better?

Thanks for the help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Along with the sticky - DVI & Displayport are not the same thing. Neither are mini-DVI & mini displayport.

After you've read through the 1st post in the sticky, you'll discover there are a lot more than 2 ways to connect a Mac to a TV. Feel free to post back for further help with the info we need to get you headed in the right direction.

1st question already - why do you need a 20' cable?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.